Chapter 7

You rubbed your arm as you left Home, your eyes darting around the neighborhood. It was oddly quiet, somehow. You would've expected to see some sort of activity, but there was nothing.

"Hey, um... Wally? Where is everyone?" you asked.

"Oh, they're somewhere. We haven't seen the sun in a very long time, so I'm sure everyone is just somewhere enjoying it," he explained.

"You haven't seen the sun?"

"Nope. It just went poof one day, not a word since. After a while of it being gone, we realized the show must've gotten canceled or something," Barnaby said, shrugging.

"It was very strange being stuck at nighttime," Wally added.

"Yeah, that honestly sounds awful," you mumbled.

"Yes. It wasn't fun. But the sun's back now, and we have a new friend as well," he said.

You gave him a small smile, nodding. As you continued to wander about, you noticed movement near one of the houses: Frank's if your memory serves you right. You could see someone mulling about through the garden, looking a little frantic. As you grew closer, you could almost instantly tell it was Frank. He appeared frustrated, his brow furrowed as he dug around through the dirt.

"No, no, this won't do," you heard him mumble as you approached.

"I'd say howdy, but that isn't your name, is it?" Barnaby asked, leaning against the garden fence.

"Barnaby, that was bad and you know it," Frank groaned. He looked up from whatever he was doing, staring at you for a moment before letting out a sigh. "And who might this be?"

"(y/n) (l/n). It's very nice to meet you," you said.

All you got in response was a raise of his eyebrow. You averted your gaze to the ground, shuffling slightly in place.

"Ey, quit given' 'em the cold shoulder, Frank. You're makin' 'em turn blue," Barnaby said.

"You're lucky tomatoes take a long time to grow," Frank grumbled.

"Hello-oh~!"

Looking over, you were greeted by the skipping figure of Julie, a massive sun hat on her head and sunglasses covering her eyes. She skidded to a stop in front of the slowly expanding group, a large smile on her face.

"Oh! Are you a new friend? It's really nice to meet you! I'm Julie! What's your name? Are you a new neighbor? What kind of stuff do you like doing? Do you like games? Crafts? Baking?"

"Julie, I think that is quite enough out of you," Frank said, finally stopping whatever he was doing and leaning over the fence. "They're new, give them time to settle in."

"I'm actually... not really staying for long. Just passing through," you said.

"(y/n)'s a viewer," Wally said.

"Wally! Why didn't you say so sooner!" Frank exclaimed.

"The show's back on air?!" Julie yelled. She ran up to you, tightly hugging you and spinning you around. "This is wonderful news! Why, I think we need to celebrate it!"

"H-hold on! The show isn't back!" you said.

This caused the four to stop. Julie and Barnaby looked the most confused. Julie looked almost a little heart broken, while Barnaby seemed to be having a hard time processing just what exactly you said. Looking at Frank, he seemed disappointed, but not too hung up on it. And then there was Wally. You couldn't quite figure out what he was thinking. He just stared at you, his normal smile not faltering.