Chapter 27: Meet ups and Murder

Start from the beginning

Chrissy glanced at her watch. She was early but he had to come. If he didn't, then what would she do? She stared at the remains of the old Luxmar hotel, as a feeling of regret rolled through her.

Two years ago, she hated Jessica. Absolutely despised her. Jessica had purposely gone after Knox after Chrissy confided her feeling for the wealthy hotelier to her sister. Chrissy met Knox at one of those boring dinner parties. He was handsome, smart, and his aloofness only made her want to know him better.

Three days after telling her sister about Knox Marsden, Jessica waltzed into their dining room to announce she had a date with him. Her parents seemed pleased so Chrissy kept quiet. She didn't want to argue with her sister in front of her parents. To them, Jessica could do no wrong.

Later, when they were alone, Jessica's played dumb.

"You liked him? I thought you were just joking," Jessica said, smiling. "Well it's for the best anyway since he clearly didn't find you attractive enough to ask you out. He asked me out for drinks five minutes after we met."

It had been torture watching them together, especially knowing  Jessica wasn't faithful. Not that it mattered. After a few months of dating, Knox seemed enamored of Jessica and forgave all her indiscretions.

Chrissy checked the time again. He should be here soon. She wanted to tell him the truth about Jessica and Jason. About the other men pictured in Jessica's laptop. Knox was going to be hurt but she'd be there to comfort him. She knew him better than his new secretary. She was sure of that.

A cold breeze blew through the building and lifted one of the plastic tarps keeping the building in darkness. She pulled out her phone when she heard heavy footsteps from behind. Chrissy whirled around but she was alone. Her eyes narrowed in the darkened space.

"Knox, is that you?" Chrissy called out.

One of the dark plastic tarps rose with another breeze. Light filtered into the room for a moment.

"Knox?"

Chrissy pulled out her phone and texted Knox.

"Are you almost here?"

She waited a few beats but there was no response. A glimmer of light out of the corner of her eye told her the tarp was being lifted again. She turned to see the tarp rustling in the breeze.

She cursed under her breath. "Where is he?"

Chrissy stared at her phone, her eyes narrowing when she felt something cold on her shoulder. She jumped.

"Knox?"

Chrissy's eyes scanned the space. Old columns surrounded her. The destroyed furniture had long been removed from the space.

"Chrissy."

A tingle of fear ran up her spine when she heard her name being whispered.

"Chrissy."

Chrissy turned her head but didn't see anyone near her.

"Chrissy."

"Who's there?" Chrissy shouted. "Knox, are you trying to scare me? This isn't funny!"

A hiss of anger echoed around her before she felt something hard hit the back of her head.

Knox slammed on his brakes as he pulled into the police station's parking lot

Knox slammed on his brakes as he pulled into the police station's parking lot. Ten minutes earlier, an officer called, requesting his immediate presence.

He considered telling the officer to call his lawyer but the police officer quickly explained why Knox needed to come over and Knox found himself speeding to the station.

Knox rushed inside to see a male officer with his hands on her shoulders. She wore a gray sweatshirt with the word POLICE emblazoned across her back. Her hair was rumpled and tears stained her face.

"What the hell is going on?" Knox's voice barreled through the small crowd. The officer quickly removed his hands and Nessa turned towards him. "Nessa, I thought you were going to meet your father."

Knox watched Nessa gulp down the knot of fear lodged in her throat before she spoke, "He...he tried to kill me."

"