19 • dangerous liasons

Start from the beginning

Stefan holds his hand out and Hadiya takes it, leading her to the ballroom. They dance, they chit-chat and she's twirled into someone else's arms.

"Hello, love." Klaus's accent is immediately recognized as Hadiya regains her footing. "Nice necklace."

She looks down, "It was a gift from Stefan."

His face grows into a snarl as his tongue runs along his teeth.

"What about the earrings I got you?" He spits out bitterly.

Hadiya couldn't meet his gaze, "They didn't match my dress."

They sway around for a bit more before she excuses herself. Klaus couldn't care to keep dancing and let her go.

The rest of the night went awfully slow, Klaus's words putting Hadiya in a bored state. Stefan eventually offered to drive her to the boarding house, which she accepted. It wasn't a terrible drive. 10 minutes at the most.

"Thank you for tonight." Hadiya gives him a smile as he opens the front door for her. "And for the necklace."

"I've had it for a while now. It felt right giving it to you."

The two's gaze on each other linger for a few moments, neither of them wanting to move. Stefan's eyes slowly fall to her lips. He can't help it. He's wanted to kiss her for the past 166 years.

She seems to realize what's happening and puts a hand on his chest.

"I appreciate you escorting me. Good night, Stefan." Hadiya begins to walk off but he grabs her wrist, pulling her back so that their faces are only inches apart.

The silence subdues as she breaths out. "Why do I want this? I'm not suppose to... I can't want you."

"You're not evil for wanting something other than Klaus. You don't need to want him. You need to want to want him, and I want you."

He takes a strand of her hair and pushes it out of her face. His hand rests on her cheek.

It was as if Klaus had never appeared in her life. As if they were both mortal. As if they were just two souls glowing in one dark space. As if they were the only two people alive.

"This isn't right." She shakes her head. She wants to kiss him. It's like there's a wall forcing her to stop. She wants to kiss him so bad but her lips feel like they're burning.

Stefan realizes this. He knows she physically can't because of the compulsion. Stefan hates Klaus with his entire being.

"It's right. It's just not right now." He kisses her forehead before walking off to his room.

A tear slowly rolls down her cheek.

 not stefan pulling a damon

~c