06 • promise

" everything was starting to go so well

" everything was starting to go so well . . . "

I SAT IN MY PAINTING chair. My breathing is rigid along with the strokes of my brush.

The council is right on the tip of the ledge about vampires. I've been informed by Delaney that something will happen tonight. Something catastrophic.

Painting usually helps sooth my nerves so that's what I'm doing. Katherine is on the opposite side of the yard, playing a sport that I can't quite remember the name of with Stefan and Damon's father, Giuseppe.

I felt the other side of the bench I was sitting on weigh down as I hand was placed on mine. It was just then I realized mine was trembling.

"Are you alright, Hadi?" Stefan asked with a concerned tone, lacing his fingers with mine.

I kept my eyes on the canvas, "It's like I can feel it, sense it almost. Something bad is going to happen tonight."

The air felt brisk, cool. My head was in a knot, continuous pounding alarming through it. My eyes blinked harshly as I attempted to brush away the pain.

Stefan didn't say anything and wrapped his around around me, pulling me into his side. My head had no choice but to rest against his shoulder, the pain seemingly washing away for a split second but returning right back.

"Everything is going to be alright. You have me, what's the worse that could happen?" His poor attempt to lighten the mood almost let me laugh. Almost.

I sighed, "Promise?"

"I promise."

After a few moments of sitting there in comfortable silence he stood up, reaching his hand out for me to take.

"It's time to stop pouting, now. Come with me." I was hesitant at first but after coming to the fact that I really have nothing else to do, my hand reluctantly placed itself into his.

He led me into the patch of forest directly behind the boarding house. We walked for a few moments in silence, my curiosity practically brewing out of my head.

The moment I saw it, a smile grew on my lips.

He has a picnic set up. A blanket, a basket and some flowers surrounding us. Whether this is a distraction or an act of kindness I don't care, it's adorable.

A laugh escaped my lips as Stefan used our interlocked hands to spin me once, landing with me facing him.

"You deserve at least one moment of bliss." He said, looking at me with adoration. "You have done nothing but shower me with your kindness, being there when I needed you. Take this as a thank you, if you will."

I jumped giddily, throwing my arms around his shoulders. He completely melted into me, finding no place safer than right here.

I pulled away from him and placed a chaste kiss on his cheek, turning around to admire the set up. Roses were placed in an oval shape around the blanket, a basket wrapped with more roses in the center. I truly do feel at bliss.