07 • exposed

" the story of us will always be my favorite "

           DELANEY LIED ON HER side, facing the window beside her bed. She was withdrew from reality at the moment, attempting to fade the sounds of war out from her clouded mind.

She decided it would be best for her to stay here and help. So many innocent lives could be taken with the simple malfunction of the Gilbert device, or so they called it.

Flames carried about just outside her window. She was on the second floor of the Salvatore boarding house so she could see everything that was happening. Woman were the main ones flustered and manic, not entirely aware of what the men had conspired.

She eventually sat up from her bed, treading towards her door and opening it. The house was quickly tearing apart. They are all turning on each other.

Her feet picked up, heading towards the direction of Hadiya's room when she ran into someone.

"I'm so sorry." Delaney's hands were on the other persons shoulders when she finally got a good look at her.

Her hair was tied messily, her dark brown curls falling just below her shoulders. Light, practically nonexistent freckles coated her face around her dark blue eyes. She also looked to be around Delaney's age, just a young girl.

"No, no. It was my fault." The girl insisted, meeting the vampire's eyes. "I was rushing to my father. I'm Romilda, though this isn't the best time for introductions."

Romilda extinguished a dry laugh, attempting to ease the awkwardness. They're two teenage girls who ran into each other in the middle of a war. How could it not be awkward?

Delaney also took notice to the hand hidden behind her back.

"Your father?" Delaney questioned, "Are you a Gilbert?"

She shook her head, "No, uhm, my father; Nathaniel McKinney."

Delaney's mind searched for any recollection of the name. She came up empty. This girl didn't look familiar too her either. With being alive for almost 100 years she'd think she'd know more people.

The human girl felt the device behind her back twitch, a look of confusion growing on her face. Her hands showed in front of her face and Delaney's heart dropped when she saw it.

The Gilbert device.

The arrow faced directly towards herself. Her eyes slowly crept from the device to meet the fresh blue ones.

Romilda's breath hitched, fear completely taking over her. "Y- you're one of them?"

"I'm not going to hurt you." Delaney immediately felt completely submissive to her, not wanting to scare her anymore than she already has. Though, she could practically smell the fear radiating off of her body.