THIRTY-ONE

|

|

"If she is wise, she would have gone to one of the Great Houses by now. We need only to send word, or await for them to."

Alicent paced in front of the King, eyes puffy from crying and her lips quivering with such anger. Her fingers were bloody from picking at them endlessly, but even worse, she hadn't had a good night's sleep in two weeks since her daughter was presumed missing.

Her sweet, gentle girl.

"You wish to wait?" She spat at Viserys, in utter disbelief and anger. "Our daughter is someone out there—alone, frightened, and your only solution is to wait?"

Viserys was trying to sculpt his clay. And with each little whine from Alicent, he grew more weary. He sighed for the tenth time as he met her gaze, clay in one hand and a sculpting tool in another. "She is with Moonheart. The creature is more protection than all my kingsguard. I understand your concern, Alicent, but I cannot bring her back if I do not know where she ran off."

"No, because she fled!" Alicent cried, pacing again as she held a handkerchief to her nose. "All because of Daemon. He defiled her and your punishment was exile," She said in disbelief.

"What would you have me do?" Viserys asked her, annoyed.

Kill him, she wished she could say. Give me his head.

But she knew Viserys would never do such a thing. As much strife as Daemon caused in their lives, Viserys would let him get away with it all. He always did, just as he did with Rhaenyra.

Alicent only glared at Viserys, jaw clenched hard.

Viserys understood her look. In return, he gave her a warning glare of his own. He cared for her, he did, but even a patient man had his limits. "Do not let your temper cloud your judgement," He warned her again. Those same cruel words that he had told her for days.

"She is your daughter, Viserys," Alicent cried, voice breaking. She couldn't bear the thought of it—her daughter being violated. She had her suspicions when those rumors reached her ears many months ago, but she paid them no heed. Not my little girl, she had told herself. Above it all, she hoped that Daenaera would have spoke up if Daemon had been preying on her. She could deny it any longer when Daemon crashed the wedding—but to hear the exploits fall from his lips and the audacity of him to call it love. "Your blood," Alicent continued brokenly. "How can you keep letting him carry on like this?"

"Alicent, enough." Viserys' voice was stern. His final warning. She never dared to cross that line. "Daenaera will return to us safe and sound. I have five hundred men out in the Realm looking for her. For now, I will hear no more of it."

Alicent said nothing, only rolling her eyes as she left his king's chambers.

Instead, she walked down the hallway with Ser Criston following after her. He gave a worried look to his Queen's state, but she continued walking into the common room of her family's  apartments.