TWENTY-FIVE

skyfall -adele

skyfall -adele

That night, an hour after their love-making, Daenaera was sleeping soundly in her bed until she heard the low voices. The voices took her out of the wonderful dream she had of her and Daemon on that beach as they were last night.

Waking, she lifted her sleepy head when she found Daemon speaking quietly to one of the guards at the door. He was dressed in an undershirt and pants, looking angry at whatever the guard was telling him.

She hugged the sheets to her naked body as she began to sit up fully. Even in their low voices, there was a tense atmosphere overhead. "Daemon," She called softly.

Daemon heard her sleepy voice calling out to him, but he remained silent at first. He was trying his best to listen to the guard, he wanted to hear every word he said.

It took a few moments for him to respond, but when the guard stopped talking, Daemon looked back at her direction. "Yes, my love?" He asked her gently, the fire still burning inside him.

She could tell by his eyes alone that there was a problem.

"Is something wrong?" She asked quietly, frowning a bit. "Why aren't you in bed?"

He sighed, and walked towards Daenaera slowly. "I couldn't sleep after what happened," He said, referring to their night of passion. "My goldcloaks bring news..." He said in a slightly worrying tone. "Rhaenyra and Jacaerys have arrived. Their dragons, too."

She felt in her bones the drastic shift in the air. Her body grew tense and she looked terrified.

Rhaenyra was here?

This was it.

They must know everything.

Has her half-sister come to finally end her life for this treasonous act of passion?

Millions of thoughts and questions ran through Daenaera's head, but her voice only allowed a single scared word. "...Why?"

Daemon took one of Daenaera's hands and held it in his. "I don't know my love," he said in a quiet tone, once more. "I'll go down to speak with Rhaenyra." Daemon explained, as he still held onto Daenaera's hand. "Will you be alright on your own while I'm gone? I'll go to the courtyard and speak with Rhaenyra now."

"What about Jace?" She asked, pouting. "I can...I can speak to him. He listens to me."

Over my dead body, Daemon thought to himself. Who knows what lies and other things that boy could convince her of?

"You can do that later, my love." Daemon said, as he gently caressed Daenaera's cheek. His tone light as to not upset her. "For now I just want you to be safe and at ease, is that understood? Do not leave this room, little dragon." Daemon looked at her eyes. "I'll be quick."