chapter 13: proud bats

"Hey, Ren" Brick greeted the boy walking with Butch toward the cafeteria table.

"Hey!" Butch shouted, looking annoyed as he bounced into his seat. "What about good, li'l ol' me?"

"...And hello to you too, Butch," Brick added, rolling his eyes. He picked up a fry.

"Oh Fries," Butch said, leaning over and snatching some

"BUTCH!" Brick shouted in frustration, whacking his brother's arm.

"Ouch!" Butch cried, dropping a few fries. He shot his brother a look on the verge of being an exaggerated glare. " wasting food shame.on.you" butch shook his head in disappointment.

Ren couldn't help it—he laughed.

"There's an open seat next to me, ren," called a voice.

Ren laughed and turned to see the boy he'd bumped into earlier: Boomer. He smiled. "Thanks, Boomer,"

"No prob!" Boomer responded, grinning.

"You two have met?" Brick said, both him and Butch pausing from their "little" wrestling match to stare at the two boys.

" he bumped into me this morning. "isn't that right "first bell"

Ren laughed nervously. "Sorry..."

"He called himself 'the second bell' when he ran into us!" a voice giggled.

Ren turned to see Bubbles, the friendly blue Powerpuff Girl he'd met earlier. Buttercup was nodding beside her.

"...We're the Powerpuff Girls and Rowdyruff Boys," a redheaded girl remarked. "We're some of Townsville's superheroes. I'm the girls' sister and leader, Blossom.

Ren introduced himself formally After a few minutes of introductions and talking.

After introductions were over, they ate and chatted about all kinds of things.

...Including Math.

"And so the answer to this equation is 67 because x and y can't become anything less."

Butch tuned out pretty early and noticed a heavy smell on the table. Could it be...? It can't be... Butch leaned forward and sniffed. Worry pricked Butch like a jolt of electricity crackling on his skin.

"What's the matter, Butch?" Ren asked. It looked like he had also been turned off by the new conversation on Math.

Butch shook his head, waving his new friend off. "Wait..." he murmured "...Ah-ha! I knew it!"

" Knew what?" Ren asked.

Butch grinned sheepishly. "Oh, sorry. I barely even noticed you there. Anyway, I thought there might be traces of...err, fish, and there are. It's actually pretty strong. Can you smell it?"

Ross leaned in and took a whiff. "I don't—oh wait..." His eyes widened when he caught the scent. "It's really faint; how'd you tell?"

Butch grinned sheepishly again. "Ouh powers ..." That's half the truths anyway.

"...Oh, okay." Ren narrowed his eyes. He looked suspicious, making Butch swallow hard. But then the boy called, "Hey look it's a...cute girl"

"Where?" asked Butch, spinning around.

Ren leaned forward and snatched a fry.

"I don't see any—" Butch turned back around, just catching Ren in the act red-handed. "—Hey!"

Ren laughed, sticking the fry into his mouth.

", you little—!" Despite Butch's choice of words, he felt amused enough to grin.