chapter 18 :only wolves can hear you now

"I know you're there," Bandit repeated, narrowing his eyes. He slipped his phone into his pocket.

Two figures emerged from the shadows, the first speaking in a sing-songy voice. "Tch, Tch,Tch. Of course, you're as sharp as ever."

Bandit glared forward at the two males standing before him. "And what do you think you're doing?" he snarled. "Are you spying on us, DJ, Denji?"

Deth Jackson had been the one speaking in a melodic pitch. His sharp blue eyes glimmered in the fluorescent lights of the school hallways. He paused to smile. "I wouldn't call it spying,"

Denji didn't speak. His cold, dark blue gaze was stark and emotionless. His posture was stiff, and he remained still as his friend continued to talk.

"We were simply wandering around the halls. It was merely a coincidence that we found you," DJ continued, waving one hand dismissively. A disbelieving "that can't be right" came from a corner behind Bandit. DJ stared at it before smiling and redirecting his attention to Bandit. He pointed at where the noise came from. "Are you happy we didn't run into your little friend?"

Bandit stepped forward. "'Little friend'?" he repeated.

"Yes." DJ nodded toward the other side of the hallway. "I'm sure you've noticed her too."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Bandit didn't turn around to check on the "friend" DJ claimed that was behind him. He did know, but he didn't want to draw attention to her...not with these two standing close to him.

"Oh, but you do." Deth nodded at Denji. "Go on; show him."

Deji wordlessly leaped past Bandit, pushing the purple-eyed teen aside even though the Ruff tried to block his way. Then Denji turned the corner, returning with another person. The newcomer protested loudly to being dragged over to where Deth and Bandit stood.

Deth Jackson smirked as Bandit groaned silently under his breath. Behind Denji was Buttercup.

" BC, what are you doing?" Bandit hissed. I knew you followed me, but I was trying not to draw attention to you!"

Buttercup shrugged sheepishly. "Sorry, I couldn't resist. I was curious ."

"Yes, curiosity killed the cat. Or should I say..."—DJ paused to smirk again—"the wolf?"

Bandit glared at the boy. "Shut up, DJ. Tell me what you want."

"I heard from a little birdie that you Ruffs have some business to do tonight. What's the big deal?" Deth shrugged, walking past Bandit to Denji and Buttercup. He glanced back at the purple-eyed boy.

"That'd be none of your business," Bandit retorted, turning around as his gaze trailed after DJ.

DJ stared at the purple Ruff. "So rude," he said in a whiny tone, reaching for something in his pocket.

"And who told you this piece of 'news,'" Bandit growled.

DJ paused. "Then will you tell me what you're doing tonight?"

"...I can't guarantee that."

"Then I won't tell you anything." One last smile and DJ pulled out his phone. "Maybe I should call Danes instead and let him know. We could talk about Damon and Vix and the past and Ren's fa—"

"Shut up." snapped Bandit, his eyes flashing hatred and anger.

"Such a temper. Why would you get so fired up over a treacherous piece of scum like Damon?" DJ narrowed his eyes, looking serious for once.

Bandit twitched. "He was my fucking family, you bastard. Maybe you don't know what that means, but I do."

"You know what he did."