chapter 9: claws and fangs

"Attack."

He charged towards his opponent, drawing out his arm. The blade he held glinted in the light as he prepared to strike. However, before he could cause any harm, the man he was fighting swiftly whipped out his weapon.

The sound of metal clashing against metal echoed through the room.

Leaning back, the boy felt a sharp blade scratch against his own. The noise irritated his ears, but he could not do anything about it. He quickly jumped back and skidded to a stop on the floor.

"You're too slow. Move faster."

The boy gritted his teeth in irritation, trying to ignore the anger the man's words brought him. Instead, he just stood up and said, "Yessir."

"Again," the man commanded, getting into stance.

. Taking a deep breath, the boy nodded. He pulled out his blades and charged again, his arm flashing forward. His opponent met his attack with their blade, but this time, he was ready.

He ducked down low, dodging the blade and any possible irritating noise. Then he thrust his leg forward, it smashing into his opponent's stomach.

The man doubled over in pain as the boy jumped away. "How was that, Danes?"

"...Better." Danes stood up straighter, his gray eyes glinting. "You're getting better, but you must work on your timing. It took you six tries to get the attack to work. That's five times too many." Danes' lips drew into an even tighter frown, if possible, as his eyes narrowed. "And in the end, you had to resort to kicking. I told you; if you are to practice this technique, you need to strike me."

The glow of joy from hearing Danes' praise vanished as the boy listened to the man's criticism. He sighed and dipped his head, trying to ignore the gnawing pain in his side. "...Yes, Uncle."

Danes nodded, satisfied as he stepped forward. The tall man placed a hand on his nephew's shoulder. "I'm proud of you, Michael. I am. You know I've never regretted taking you in after your parents died."

"I know."

"Now go and get some rest. We'll continue practice tomorrow." Danes nodded, patting his nephew's shoulder before walking away. "With practice, I will grow even more proud of you."

Michael looked up, watching him go. He couldn't help but wonder, How long have you been telling me that?

"You're kidding, right?"

"No! I'm serious. Ashleigh asked Myrick out on a date," Buttercup continued, gluing pieces together.

Butch laughed, leaning against his bed. "Okay, okay; so what did Myrick say?"

"Get this," Buttercup said, pausing dramatically. When she finally spoke, her voice quivered with laughter. "He told her to get lost".

Butch he shook his head. "I wonder if he'll ever give her the time of day. Or any girl, for that matter."

"Well, she does get men." Buttercup stopped smiling, remembering Ashleigh's popularity.

Butch shrugged. "But not any of the men she's after. Like, Brick would never date her."

Buttercup looked up, raising an eyebrow. "Oh? And what about you, Butch?"

. He paused, seemingly contemplating the idea. Buttercup didn't know why, but she waited with bated breath. Butch finally said, "...Maybe."

"Seriously?" Buttercup felt a weird feeling wriggling inside of her, but then she saw Butch's face.

"Pfft, what? Hell no! I mean, there's always the possibility, but as of now, she's just another annoying bitch," Butch said. "I was just joking."