Chapter 7: Let the Wolf Hunt Begin

Buttercup was in her bed, tired and uncomfortable. She had been tossing and turning for minutes, thinking back to Michael's minty breath on her ear. And his words. Those words. What had they meant?

. His breath tickled her ear. "And sadly, I don't like talking to the friends of the Ruffs either. And what a pity, too; you seem like such a nice girl." When he pulled away, his gaze was cold. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go."

Everything about Michael proved a mystery, and Buttercup couldn't solve it. There were just too many pieces missing to the puzzle, like the answers Michael had refused to provide for her questions.

Buttercup sat up, feeling drenched in sweat. Her room felt hot and stuffy, and she was thirsty. Michael and his friends were taking over her mind. Buttercup decided she needed air to breathe, to help clear her mind and let her think.

she carefully crawled out of her bed. She winced as the door creaked when she opened it, and she set foot outside in the hallways. Buttercup shot a look at the rooms she knew her sisters and the Professor occupied, silently begging they wouldn't wake up.

Buttercup then floated silently down the stairs, making her way to the kitchen. The rooms looked unwelcoming in the quiet darkness, with dark, looming shadows. Buttercup flicked on the light to the kitchen, crossing the room to the sink.

. She grabbed a cup and turned the tap on, watching crystal-clear water splash into her cup. She then turned the tap off and gulped the water down, sighing relief for the refreshing treat.

Buttercup turned to stare at the window, out at the sky with the moon shimmering behind dark clouds. Should I go out? She knew it was nearly 2:00 am and had school tomorrow, but she desperately wanted fresh air.

So against her better judgment, Buttercup grabbed a coat and flew to the front door. She thrust it open and flew out, relieved to be outside.

Flying into the night sky, Buttercup did spirals and other cool moves as she drank in the different scents and noises. Everything seemed..."fresher" at night, especially after the recent rainfall Townsville had just had.

Buttercup soon found herself back at the forest she and Butch had been, where he'd pushed her out of the way as someone hunted for him...

What had he said to her?

"I'm not what you think I am,"

What the hell was that supposed to mean? I mean, yeah, they were all not "human," but was there more than that?

Buttercup landed silently, her feet grazing the forest floor. She surveyed her surroundings and would take off again when she heard voices.

"Maxim, no one's here. Let's go already."

"I smelled him last time we came here. I even saw him! He ran in here."

An impatient sigh. "Dammit, Maxim; do you want to report to Danes that we wasted our hunting time looking in places we already looked?"

"Shut up, Coal. He was here, I know it!"

"Maxim—wait, stop. I can hear someone."

Buttercup froze, her heartbeat quickening. Have I been found out? How could he have heard me?

There was a pause as "Maxim" seemed to study the area. "...You're right. I hear someone as well. It must be him! I told you—"

"It's 2:00 am, idiot. Why would he be out here?"

Buttercup peered out from the tree she was hiding behind, spotting two people.

Maxim was an older man with cold, stony gray eyes. He wore a grey suit.