06-The Preparations

Another doctor.

And another.

They keep coming-bristling around me with needles and tools.

One notices my eyes tracing each of them and places a mask over my face.

- - -

I thought I was done with tests and doctors, but they just keep coming. Every time I awake, I feel and see nothing but doctors. There is no pain, but no joy either.

They quickly put me back under.

- - -

I blink rapidly to get used to the light shining above me. My mouth feels as though it is filled with cotton and so dry I don't even want to try to speak. A new doctor appears above me, blocking the light like a cloud in the sky. "How are you feeling?"

My lips crack as I go to speak, "Achy, but fine." I grimace in response to my own voice. It sounds as though I smoked a pack a day throughout childhood and my throat-God my throat-might as well have been charred with it.

"I'm glad you are good my dear." His voice is familiar...the one from my test? It feels like I'm wading in water trying to think.

"W-what h-happened?"

"You have been under for weeks my dear. We completed the surgeries and now-"

My eyes widen in terror. Surgeries? What surgeries? No one told me about this. I attempt to sit up, but my body is jerked back down. They tied me to my bed? What is this?

"I apologize for the restraints. Some participants have injured themselves in the past upon waking and they truly are there just for your own protection." He clears his throat and looks uncomfortably at the ceiling. "I have been the presiding doctor throughout your care. Even with the most modern techniques, there must be a recovery period."

"What?"

"Well, it was in your contract, that when you agreed to join The Paragon you would also undergo whatever means it took to become perfection. A part of that included modifying your appearance-not incredibly so. You are already a beautiful woman. It's just part of the experiment, you see. We have been attempting to modify not only your appearance but your reproductive system as well as-"

"You messed with my reproductive system?" And just like that, it's easy to speak. My fury outweighs any discomfort. "What do you mean you had me undergo surgery on my, what, uterus?"

"Somewhat. I won't go into detail, but our goal is to make it possible for you to reproduce as often and as easily as possible. To do so, we shortened your cycles, but also lessened the effects." My brain spins as I consider his words. "If it's any other consolation, you will also give birth much easier than otherwise would have."

"What a consolation." Maybe it is. But the invasion they conducted on me...there aren't words to describe how violated I feel. "Can you remove the restraints, please? I promise I won't harm myself or others." What good would that do at this point anyway?

"Of course. You will be in bed for the rest of the day, but we have kept you under to progress your recovery as quickly as possible. Tomorrow you will join The Paragon." He flashes me a smile as he removes the restraints. He honestly thinks I should be grateful for this.

Throughout the rest of the day, I am brought various foods and drinks. A nurse comes in to help me walk around the room and double check there have been no adverse side effects. Fortunately, the worst I feel is an aching throughout my body and a weird sort of exhaustion. I notice there aren't any mirrors in my room—or bathroom—and wonder what I look like. I know for certain that my nose has changed, there is a loss of feeling in the tip of it and when I trace it with my finger it is more sloped and less bumpy. Aside from that, it is difficult to tell what they could have done. According to the nurse, it was only my nose and chin that were changed, but I don't feel any difference on my chin. They added some sort of material that evened out my face shape.