chapter 6 : A Wolf & Their Enemies

Start from the beginning

Sighing, Brick rolled his eyes as Butch dashed off for the ball.

Buttercup sat on the infirmary bed thinking those boys were defiantly not ordinary when the door was opened, and voices sounded outside.

. She turned to the door and watched, listening.

"Are you not feeling okay, Ethan?" Mr. Evan's voice sounded.

"Yeah, sorry. "My skin's just sensitive to sunlight..."

A sigh. "Alright then. In you go."

As the door shut, a boy was standing there. He looked relieved to be alone. He had long, curly, soft, cookie-dough brown hair and wide, pale purple-pink-looking eyes. They were brown but were so pale they looked pink.

Buttercup decided to let him know he wasn't alone. "Hi," she greeted. he jumped slightly

"Relax; I'm not going to hurt you." Buttercup rolled her eyes at his narrowed eyes.

"Oh, right. Of course," he agreed in a mumble.

Buttercup could tell he still wasn't at ease around her. "I don't bite."

"I do," he muttered under his breath, but Buttercup only managed to catch it thanks to her super-hearing. She decided not to ask him about it, as she felt he'd freeze up on her in panic.

"So what are you in here for?" she inquired.

. He sighed, awkwardly walking over to another bed and sitting down. "I...I wouldn't say I like the sun all that much. We had an outside class because it was sunny, and Mr. Evans was in a good mood. I guess I didn't put on enough sunscreen." The boy rubbed at his hands uncomfortably.

. Buttercup realized that's the most he's said so far. So she decided to press further: "I see. Your name's Ethan, right? I've seen you around."

"Yeah," he confirmed, "we're in the same Math class."

"I guess it's kind of hard to notice a guy who doesn't talk all that much," Buttercup joked.

"I guess," Ethan replied.

A few moments of awkward silence passed before Buttercup sat up and stretched. "Well, it's kinda dark in here. Why not open the blinds?"

"No!" Ethan said quickly. When she gave him a questioning look, he rubbed his hands again nervously. "I-I mean...you know, sensitive skin and all."

"... Okay then," Buttercup managed to say, "I guess we can turn on the lights then."

Ethan nodded thankfully. He opened his mouth to say something just as the door was opened again.

Ms. Ella walked in. "Hello, Buttercup! Everything is under control outside, so I thought I'd check on you." She paused when she saw Sidney. "Oh, and hi there, Ethan!"

"Hi, Ms. E," he greeted her with a small smile.

"Let's open the blinds, shall we?" Ms. Titter said, sweeping toward the windows.

Ethan's eyes widened, and Buttercup decided to speak up for him: "Ms. T, wait—"

The blinds were opened, and Ethan let out a slight hiss as the sunlight streamed in. He covered his face with his arm, and Buttercup was surprised that his hands were reddening. He is sensitive to sunlight, she thought.

Ethan moved back further on the bed until his back hit the wall and was out of the sun. He immediately began rubbing his hands again. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a black bottle

Sunscreen, Buttercup realized. She found it strange, as she had never seen a black sunscreen bottle before. But she decided it wasn't too weird to question the poor guy.