Chapter Five.

Liara.

He fell on the floor and started shaking, it was like tremors were running through his body and he fell on the floor. He twitched and twitched and I kept on calling his name.

“It’s for the best.” He choked and then he fell on the floor.

“Danny!” I exclaimed and fell down beside him. I tried to reach for him but he seemed to shrink away from me. Everytime I tried to touch him he crept away.

“GO!” He shouted and I saw tears fall from his eyes, he motioned me away but I just sat there, frozen.

“NO!” I shouted back at him and then took hold of his hand, abruptly he turned over his stomach and I saw the .. tattoo on his back, glistening. It was shining light and I just stared at it.

“Danny, your .. your tattoo’s glowing.” I whispered and I heard him wail. His mark glowed even more and he wailed harder.

“Make it stop.” He gasped and his hand clutched mine.

“STOP IT.” He shouted and looked at me. I sat frozen. I didn’t get why he was telling me that.

“How?!” I gasped and he took my hand and dropped it on his back. I ran my hand over his mark and it stopped immediately.

Danny slumped and before I could say anything else he suddenly flew from the floor and banged into the wall.

“DANNY!” I shouted and ran towards him but he flew to the wall behind me.

“RUN, LIARA! GO AWAY.” He shouted at me but before I could go to him I saw it.

It was a monster. I could see all his skin molding into one, I saw his long teeth, I saw his scrunched up ugly face, I saw his nose and eyes almost merge and I saw saliva dropping. And then he looked right at me and it looked like he laughed. And suddenly something took hold of my hair and banged me into the wall.

“OH!” I gasped and my head banged into the wall again.

“Stop doing that to her! It’s me you want! Take me, leave her!” I heard Danny shout and all I could do was shake my head again and again. My head banged into the wall again and again but I didn’t feel much pain, I was angry. I could hear Danny plead to take him and not me and I was furious.

“I see him!” I gasped and Danny looked like he was going to die.

“Don’t look in his eyes!” He shouted at me and I nodded, I closed my eyes tight. Danny kept on asking him to take him and I felt the monster reel.

“Daniel, SHUT UP!” I shouted at him and he gave me a startled look. He knew I never called him Daniel and he was surprised but I couldn’t care less, I looked past him and saw the moon rise and then I just closed my eyes and touched my amulet.

“Burn.” I whispered and suddenly I felt fire, I looked at him then and I saw him go up in flames. There was fire everywhere, it surrounded him and I could hear him shriek, I closed my eyes and when I opened them again Danny and me were on the ground.

“How did you do that?” He whispered at me and I gave him a small smile.

“I don’t know.” I replied and for a minute he just looked at me and then he nodded.

“Are you okay?” I demanded and Danny gave me a small smile this time.

“You saved me, again.” He said and he looked pained when he said it.

“Why does that bother you so much, Danny? Why were you telling me to run?” I asked softly and Danny grunted.

“Because I’m supposed to take care of YOU, Liara, not the other way round. And now I’m .. I’m human and I can’t do that anymore. And it’s wrong, Lee. If you stay with me they will get you and I can’t live with myself if I knew that you were hurt because of me, Lee. Your father went against all odds when he chose me, Lee and he looked me in the eyes and said ‘Look after my little girl always’. He trusted me, Lee.” He said in a low voice and I walked up to him.