Kaylee eyes him hesitantly, "What's wrong da—" He reached out and smacked her face without warning, she immediately gripped her cheek and burst into gutted tears.

I was stunned and immediately locked in my place. She was supposed to be the baby, the angel, this reaction meant something went terribly wrong. And I wish she knew when to stay silent. When someone is pissed you don't ask them questions, I learned that exact lesson from this exact man.

Within seconds I was pulling her face into my chest and pointing my back towards him. He immediately kicks me— a blow I expected— and I remained in my place so he could release his anger out on me and not Kaylee. It didn't matter that I was going to have a huge throbbing boot mark there tomorrow.

I could only guess this entrance of his was loud enough to alarm my mother because she comes running down the stairs scoping out her surroundings in bewilderment.

"Why are you hitting the—" He gracefully knocks her to the floor with one arm and she lands with a loud skidding slam.

She attempts to gather her bearings and I cringe as he doesn't allow it. It racked me with guilt to know that my first thought was karma. He begins to shout with deafening resonance, "Which one of you told?!"

I turn my head around slightly to put him in my eye-line while still covering Kaylee.

He narrows his gaze at me with intent and I instinctively hold up my hand to stop him, "How could we have said anything when we've been locked up in here?" I was frantic to convince him. Ten more feet. I was giving me and Kaylee ten more feet and that's all I could do right now. I couldn't get ahead of myself.

He pauses knowing I was right despite his blind rage. He then turns and scans our mom, "Kaila, did you tell?"

Who else would it be? I'm not saying react on that knowledge but she was the obvious answer.

She pushes herself up slowly in contemplation, "I was chatting with my friend the other day, but I didn't think she would actually—" 

Christian yanks out his gun and pulls the trigger without a second thought. She fell back, her blood splattering on both of us. Kaylee shrieks at the top of her lungs digging her nails into me as I held her tighter, a foreign ringing plagued my ears. I was almost certain my mother was dead but I was much too shocked to process or do anything about it.

My eyes started watering as Kaylee refused to stop screaming.

"Shut up before I shoot both of you! I need to concentrate."

I wondered what tormented his mind at the moment. The different ways he could kill us? He was supposedly in love with my mother, so I had no doubt in my mind that he could end me without remorse.

I felt the burning urge to yell at him. I hated my mom but I hated him more. I wanted to break something and scream, but every scar and bruise on my body reminded me of the ten feet I needed.

He grabs me swiftly and firmly by my upper arm, swinging me off of Kaylee so I was no longer covering her.

Christian then moves towards the door dragging me along, Kaylee tries to desperately follow. He turns around with a cold gleam in his eyes and shoots her in the calf without flinching.

I cried out in utter disbelief and pain.

No no no, this couldn't be happening.

He tried yanking me again but my legs went limp and I tumble to the floor with tears annoyingly blurring my vision. My sister could bleed out at any moment and I was the only one who cared right now.