How I Became A Japanese Urban Legend (Teke Teke)

This is dedicated to corey_was_here
Enjoy my creeps ^_^

Teketeketeketeketeketeke.

That is the sound of what is probably the creepiest of Japanese urban myths. Teke Teke is her name. It's typical that the Japanese would give the scariest of horror story creatures such a misleadingly stupid sounding name. I would understand the horror of the creature as well as anyone on account of the fact that I ran into her.

Like a typical American skeptic I didn't take to the Japanese folklore with much heed. After all... every story seemed to have the same moral: don't go out after dark alone. Therefore, it was only natural to believe that the stories were only a system of keeping kids from wandering off. When one story was proved wrong or ignored, another and more exotic story was made up to keep the children enveloped in pants-wetting fear of wandering off. The stories ranged from that of the slit mouth woman to the impossibility of the fifty story skeleton that would gladly tear off your head and drink the blood from your system like you were a juice box.

But there were always holes in the story, such as HOW in the world a fifty story skeleton hasn't been spotted by more than one person at a time, or even how something that massive could ever sneak up on anyone. And even the story of the slit mouth woman has its problems.

The story supposedly features a beautiful Japanese woman who angered her husband, who in turn sliced her mouth in his rage. Now she goes around with a scarf over her mouth asking people if she's beautiful or not. If you say no she takes a giant pair of shears to you. If you say yes, she takes off her scarf and asks the same question again. At that point you're pretty much screwed no matter WHAT you say unless you tell her she's so-so, and then make a run for it while she's contemplating what to do with that statement. However, it is never mentioned what happens if you see the giant pair of scissors on her back and just make a run for it before she asks you anything, or if you happen to be armed and just shoot the girl in the head at point blank range the moment she takes off the scarf.

The story of Teke Teke is similar in ways of plot holes. The story is about a girl who jumps/falls into a subway and gets split in half (how she didn't get pulverized completely is anyone's guess.) Afterward her spirit gets royally ticked off at the world and chases down any poor sap she sees and cuts them in half. Her name is based off the noise she makes as she runs, as her long-nailed hands clack against the ground rapidly.

Teketeketeketeketeketeke.

Even if dead spirits were able to interact with the real world, my question is why Teke's so angry. I've seen plenty of people who had lost their legs on reality shows or whatever and they seem pretty happy! And her tripping and falling onto a railway wasn't anyone's fault besides her own. Therefore, that myth seemed to contradict a rational human mindset.

At least, that's what I thought. Until I saw her torso sitting on a wall late one Friday evening.

In a classic horror story fashion, it was incredibly dark and I was walking home alone. Like I mentioned earlier, I did not take much of the surrounding folklore seriously. I actually thought it was a full sized girl for the longest time. If I had known that she was the ultimate concentration of horrific mutilating nightmare fuel I probably wouldn't have approached her so carelessly to ask if she was alright. However, my good intentions changed to a furious rush of terror when she jerked violently at the sound of my voice and hopped off of the wall. Before she even hit the ground I clearly saw that most of the bottom portion of her was missing. She scurried toward me like an angered spider, making indistinguishable groaning and shrieking sounds as she raced toward me. That's when I took off like a scared puppy. Who wouldn't?

I am a very fast runner, that undeniable fact has been mentioned several times to me by my peers ever since middle school. I would have stopped running after the first few minutes if I had managed to leave whatever was chasing me behind. But the noise did not subside. In fact, as I ran, it grew steadily louder.