Two

An: so this story was originally in another book of mine. It was full of half ass mini stories but I decided to make it it's own work.

That's why the first few chapters are so badly written but it slowly gets better. Promise.

Alice P.O.V

I've never watched anyone sleep before. That was before I met Bella. I never wanted to watch anyone sleep. Never even thought about what it was like to fall asleep before I met her. Now it's all I think about. Before we met, I could never imagine going to sleep. It seemed so silly to me. Closing your eyes and laying there for 8 hours. I already feel like 24 hours isn't enough, could you imagine wasting 8 of those hours doing nothing. I was so silly back then. Sleep isn't nothing. Sleep is breathing. And dreaming. Sleep is being alive. What I wouldn't give to go to sleep. Just once. Sometimes I pretend. I close my eyes and down. I imagine closing my eyes and dreaming. It takes me a while because I don't know how dreams work..sure Carlisle has explained it to me before but it doesn't make sense. It took me a while to figure out what I dream about, if I could. At first I thought of penguins. Because why not. And then I thought about flying. Carlisle says people dream of flying pretty often. But then I realized I would dream of Bella. Her messy brown hair, how soft it would feel against my finger tips. Her smile, the barely noticeable gap between her two front teeth. Her laugh, unapologetically loud and awkward, just like her. Her eyes… So sad. It's like her eyes have seen every tragedy that has ever happened in the history of everything. Every sad thing that has happened, it's like her eyes have seen them. Sometimes her eyes look like she'll never see the sun again. No sun, no stars, no moon. Just nothing...I wonder what she dreams about.

"Alice." She sighed out my name in her sleep, her hand reaching out as if she was trying to grab me. My fingers twitched and it took every ounce of self control I have to not answer her. She's just dreaming. Some people talk when they sleep. That's what Carlisle told me. It's perfectly natural, he said. She's not actually calling to me. She's just dreaming… about me? "Alice." She mumbled again and I clenched my fist. Don't wake her. She's just dreamin- "Alice!" She called out my name a third time, this time more desperate. I couldn't ignore her this time. I jumped into action, moving from my seat across the room and to her bedside. I cupped her warm hand between the both of mine. "I'm right here. Bella darling." I reassured her and I watched as her eyes slowly began fluttering open. She stared up at me, obviously confused. She also had tears in her eyes. Was she… was she having a bad dream? Was it about me? Just the thought that Bella was having a nightmare because of me was… I started to pull my hands away, not wanting to scare her more. "Alice. I had a terrible dream." She states and I went to turn on the lights. "Don't!" She exclaimed and I froze. I… don't humans like the light? That's why people have night lights right? To prevent bad dreams. That's why I was going to turn them on. But now Bella doesn't want that. "What do you need Bella? Just tell me and I'll do it. Do you want me to lea-" I began to ask but she whimpered. "No. Don't leave!" She exclaimed, reaching out to grab me. She wrapped her trembling fingers around my wrist, pulling me closer.

I gasped at the sudden contact, now very confused. She just had a nightmare, most likely about me. Why would she cling to me? Instead of questioning it, I carefully sat down on the bed. Making sure to keep my distance. Bella whined, like she possibly wanted me closer but didn't say anything. "Talk to me Bella. Deep breaths." I reminded her and she took a few deep shuddering breaths. Like she was on the verge of tears. "I… I had a dream that I was in the alley again with James and Rile-" She started but a deep growl broke free from my chest. Bella jumped, obviously startled by the sudden noise. Damn it, I didn't mean to scare her. I just couldn't control myself. When she mentioned those monsters I just… I could help myself. I cleared my throat, squeezing her hand. Gently. Have to be gentle. I've already hurt her twice from holding her too hard. I can't keep hurting her. "I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. Continue. Please." I added on and she smiled a little. Her heart slowed down a little and I relaxed a little. "I was in the alley again but you didn't come save me this time. I kept calling for you but you never came. And they pushed me to the ground an-" She tried to continue but I interrupted her. I don't need to hear anymore. If I hear anymore I'm going to lose my temper. And that's the last thing we need right now. What I should have said was it was just a bad dream. And that I would always protect her. That's what I should have said. But no, I said something else. "That didn't happen. Those idiots are gone and dead. I killed them. And I'll kill anyone else who tries to hurt you. I promise." I vowed, instantly regretting it. Why did I… it's like I'm trying to give her nightmares. Instead of being freaked out like I thought she would, Bella just laughed. "That actually made me feel a lot better." She states and lays back down. Oh… mission accomplished. I successfully soothed my mate. She is no longer distressed. What else can I do for my mat- Water. Carlisle said they need a lot of water. Like plants. That's how I remember it. Humans need water like plants. I know more about plants than humans. Plants are easy. Sun, water, and proper soil. And they're fine. But humans need more. A lot more. I lifted our joint hands to my lips, kissing the back of her hand gently before letting go.