11. Races and New Faces

Rue's POV

After about 15 minutes of beer pong me and Hazel got absolutely destroyed. I honestly don't know how Marlow did it. She definitely wasn't lying when she said she never looses.

"Fuck, I have to go get Hugo some kind of accident happened at my neighbors." Hazel groaned beside me.

"Is everything okay?" I said turning to her with a worried expression. Hugo was like second little brother to me. He gets along with Matthew well too sometimes they have playdates together.

"I think so, but I have to head out now." Hazel said looking lost in her thoughts. "Is it okay if I use your car? I had a friend drop me off."

I trust Hazel so much in the little time we've spent together and there was no way I was gonna say no. "Of course, I was thinking of some other ways to get home anyway." I said with a wink as I pulled out my car keys from my pocket.

"Oh? Does that way have something to do with a certain someone?" She said her eyebrows wiggling.

"Maybe.." I giggled and handed her the keys.

"Alright well good luck and be safe I'll drop your car off later." Hazel lived about a block away from me which was actually how we became friends in the first place.

I gave her a hug before she began walking off.

Well what do I do now? I was originally gonna try and find Mateo, but I haven't seen him yet even though this is his party. I look around me looking for any familiar face and finally I see Marlow leaning against the wall looking a little down.

Where she was standing was pretty dark but the cigarette she was holding between her fingers lit up her face nicely.

After the game her and Juliette walked off but now she was alone. I began walking towards as she turned her head my way. Almost as if she sensed I was coming.

She fixed her posture smiling slightly. "What's up?" Marlow said as I leaned against the wall next to her.

"I was supposed to be hanging out with Hazel but she had to dip, so nothing. You?" I said looking up at her tall figure. I'm around 5'4 and Marlow had to be 5'7 maybe 5'8.

"I have to go to a race in a few minutes but my partner, Julie dipped too so I guess were sorta in the same boat." Marlow sighed as she wrapped her lips around the cigarette taking a long drag.

I was probably staring to hard at the action when she exhaled the smoke, "You want a hit?" Marlow say with the cigarette in between her fingers.

"I uhm- No I don't smoke" I said stumbling over my words.

"Well I bet that'll change the longer u hang with me." She said chuckling softly.

We stood in silence for a bit before I came up with an idea, "So Marlow..since you have no partner are you taking requests?"

Marlow turned her head my way so I was completely under her gaze. For some reason I suddenly felt nervous.

"Really? You've rode on my bike once and your ready for a race?" She said, a smile creeping up on her lips. Well I didn't know the race would be on motorcycles so I definitely started doubting this.

"What? You don't think I can take it?" I said sounding cocky. "Yes, that is exactly what I think." Marlow replied.

"Try me." I said sounding confident which I definitely was not currently. "Let's go."

A low chuckle came from Marlow as she signaled for me to follow her. I did so and we walked back inside the house navigating through the crowd until we were in the front yard.

"The street where we race is a few minutes away from here. It's away from any major places so police don't come bust us." She said leading me to her bike.

"I don't have a spare helmet right now so you can use mine, but when we get there I'll get you one." I nodded in acknowledgement as she leaned over picking up a helmet.

Marlow turned back to me and once she stood in front of me she picked up the helmet and started to adjust it on my head.

I don't know why but this action made me feel fuzzy inside and I hope that wasn't noticeable on my face.

"Alright, all good to go." Marlow said as she hopped on the bike turning the engine on. A smile grew on my face when I realized Marlow will be riding without a helmet. Even if the drive to the street is short she's still risking her safety for me.

She extended her hand out for me and helped me onto the bike. Her cold hands were a contrast to my warm ones.

Once I got situated on the bike I crossed my arms around her waist. "You ready?" Marlow said as she started the engine."

"Yeah!" I called out and soon we started driving off. This is only my second time riding a motorcycle but it feels so calming.

If I ride with Marlow any longer I might have to get a motorcycle myself.

After about 5 minutes we pulled up on a street that was pretty crowded. I saw a lot of other people lined up with their motorcycles.

It looks like we got here just in time because it seemed the race was about to start. Marlow parked the bike next to another that already had 2 people.

Marlow stopped the engine and got off the bike leaving me on, "I'll be right back stay here." She said before walking off.

I saw her greeting some people then she was out of my eyesight. It was now that I had alot of worry. All the other people here seemed more professional and this was only my second time on a bike.

I know that I'm not the one that's driving, but still it's pretty worrying. I got taken out of my thoughts when two girls walked up to me. I took off my helmet so I could see them better. One of the girls had ginger hair and a wide smile while the other had a curly afro.

I smiled nervously at them. I was definitely confused about who they were but they seemed familiar. The ginger haired girl finally spoke up, "Do you go to Normane Valley?"

I nodded, "Yeah I do..you look really familiar do you go there too?" Then all of a sudden she turned to the other girl excitedly.

"I told you she goes there!" They said a few words to each other but I couldn't hear anything.

"Okay sorry I'll calm down now we made a bet and I won. We went to another school a few minutes away from Normane and we just got transferred about a week ago." She said looking insanely excited which contrasted the other girl to her side who looked mostly unamused.

I examined her face a little closer and realized I've seen them both in my math class. "Wait I remember now, I think we're in the same math class."

"Exactly! I'm Nova and this here is Aaliyah." Nova said then extended her arms out towards Aaliyah in a V shape as if she was presenting a project.

"It's nice to meet you both, I'm Rue." I said sending them a smile. Then Aaliyah spoke to me for the first time, "So, who are you riding with?" She said and her voice was so soft and calm, she could easily be a therapist.

"Oh, my friend Marlow she should be back soon." I looked to where Marlow left off to and saw her heading back my way with another helmet in hand. "Oh speak of the devil. There she is."

But when I turned back both of their expressions dropped. "Oh fuck no." Aaliyah said and I could clearly hear the anger in her voice.

Before I could even say anything she was headed directly towards Marlow. I guess these two have chemistry and it does not look good.

----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you guys for reading! Make sure to check out Intros to see how I visualize Nova and Aaliyah to look like! And 5k views! I'm so happy about that.

What do you guys think happened in the past with Aaliyah and Marlow?

And finally quick question: What's your favorite video game?

See you all in the next chapter! <3