6. Addiction

Marlow's POV

The beginning of school went decently well. I actually came surprisingly early and was able to sell some stuff without getting caught. It was history when things started going downhill.

Currently the pain in my stomach was bearable but still hurt like a bitch. I was sitting waiting for the teacher to start the lesson when Rue came in the class. I felt bad after last night, because I obviously said something that ticked her off.

I did want to apologize, but my ego's too high for that. I kept my attention to the front of the class until about halfway into the lesson everything got worse.

I hadn't had any drugs in my system for a few hours and that's a major problem. I felt a pair of eyes on me so I turned to look at Rue. I followed her eyes down to my leg and realized I was unconsciously bouncing it up and down.

I also now realized my hand was shaking. I quickly stopped my leg movement and raised my hand up. To get through the rest of this day I needed to take something, anything. "Yes Marlow?" I finally got the teachers attention.

"Can I go to the bathroom." I asked, keeping my tone low. She sighed and nodded, so I quickly got my bag and took off out the classroom. I practically sprinted to the bathroom and once I finally got in I checked to stalls making sure they were empty.

I sighed in relief, no interruptions. I put my bag on the sink and pulled out a bag of coke already crushed up and ready. My smile grew wide at the sight of it. I poured it out on the counter then pulled my debit card out of my wallet lining it up perfectly.

I took a dollar and rolled it up, and just as I was about to get a taste of heaven the door suddenly opened. Fuck! Please don't be a teacher.

I slowly turned around and met eyes with Rue. I sighed in relief. "Fuck, you scared the shit out of me. What are you doing here?" I asked her before turning back around.

"I could ask you the same thing." She scoffed before walking closer, I could see her shocked expression from the mirror as she noticed the line of coke. "What the fuck Marlow? Is that a drug?"

"Nah, it's smarties." I said sarcastically as I began rolling up the dollar again. "Of course its a drug Rue." I put the dollar to the end of the line and I was just about to lean my head down when all of a sudden Rue swiped her hand over the counter making everything fall to the ground. My eyes immediately widened.

What the fuck.

I stared at the powder on the floor before turning my head to look at Rue. I was just about to start flipping out when I saw Rue's expression. I saw her chest rise quickly and her eyes watery. My expression softened immediately.

"I- Uhm. I'm sorry I just-" Rue stumbled over her words and I couldn't be more confused. I was just about to say something until the door barged open again and Rue quickly wiped her eyes turning around.

There stood our principal, Ms. Anderson. She sighed before talking, "You two. Seriously, skipping?"

"What we aren't-" I was about to say until I was interrupted by Ms. Anderson. "Nope, no excuses. Both of you go to class now, and detention after school." She said before walking out shaking her head mumbling something under her breath.

"Fuck." I said softly. I really need to make deals after school so I can get the rest of the money. I looked at Rue still confused on why she's so silent.

I looked down at the mess on the floor being thankful that Ms. Anderson didn't notice it. "Well, thanks a lot Rue." I said going to pick up a broom and dustpan from the corner.

Finally, Rue spoke up "W-What? So this is my fault now?" She scoffed, rolling her eyes. I began sweeping the floor when I opened my mouth again, "How is it not? If you never came in here she probably wouldn't think we were skipping and not to mention this." I said pointing to the ground which was now mostly cleaned up.

"Whatever, fuck me for trying to check up on you." She said before walking off. Jesus, what the fuck was that even about. I finished sweeping and poured everything in the trash. I sighed heavily before picking up my bag.

I made my way back to class wondering my other options to come up with the money I need.

A few periods later.

I was making my way to gym now. This day has honestly been hell. I took some painkillers for the pain but I ran out of that too. And to make things worse after gym I'm going to be going to detention since that's my last period.

I was in no shape to participate in gym so I quickly ran up to our teacher, Mr. Gibson. "Mr. G!" I said waving his way to get his attention. I stood before him, I was a bit taller. "Can I just sit at the bleachers for today? Really bad cramps."

"Of course Marlow, you've been working your ass off these past few weeks anyway." He said giving me a small smile. This is exactly the reason he's my favorite teacher. I thanked him before walking off to the bleachers. I went closer to the top and sat down leaning my head and arms against the row above me.

I closed my eyes for awhile before there was a tap on my shoulder. I opened them slowly and saw Julie. "I was wondering where you were, you've been acting weird all day everything alright?" She asked sitting down next to me.

I saw Julie a few times during the day but in classes I was mostly sleep and I didn't spend a lot of time walking in hallways. "Just a stressful day. Everything's cool though." I said even though I was lying. I didn't feel like explaining everything with Rue and the drug deal gone wrong.

Julie leaned closer to my face as she started talking, "Stressful? You know, my parents will be late home tonight. I can help you out with that." She said as she rested a hand on my thigh.

I didn't mention this before but sometimes me and Julie hook up. No feelings attached though, we're just like friends with benefits. I smirked slightly at her, "As much as I would love to say yes, I have detention."

She pouted a little and was about to open her mouth to talk before Mr. G called out, "Julie!! Come on we need you down here!"

"Call me when you get out! See you." She said giving me a wink before walking off. I leaned my head back against the bleachers before closing my eyes again. Time for the rest of this shitty day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading<3 I hope I'm not doing a bad job at storytelling and the pacing and everything, this is my first time really writing a story so if there's anything you guys think I can improve on let me know!