I gestured for Erwin to come in immediately, which he did not hesitate to do by carefully closing the door behind him with a sound.

He looked around and searched for a hiding spot, in which unfortunately could not be found in this half-empty room with only beds and awfully small drawers. And perhaps a wilting plant at the corner.

I scooted over the bed and held my blanket up, panicking slightly at the thought of getting into trouble especially when the punishment was not something I looked forward to.

He quickly caught on and joined me under the covers as soundless as he could.

We laid there on the same bed, a blanket covering over our heads to hide ourselves knowing we'll get into big trouble if we're caught still awake and with Erwin sneaking off.

I could feel his unsteady breath by the rising of his chest, giving me awareness as to how he also didn't like the idea of getting into trouble.

"Why're you out in the first place?" I whispered as lowly as I could, feeling the fabric of the covers above my face.

"Nile said to meet him here because he wanted to tell me something this morning but I lost track of time."

"Not a great idea to sneak out at curfew. Couldn't it have waited 'til the morning?"

People wouldn't believe me if I said Erwin openly defies the rules. Mainly because they have this presumption and carefully-crafted image of him being this perfectly uptight and by-the-books type of guy.

They do not know that it's the very text written on our books that he aspires to conspire. He was stern, yes. But he was a risk-taker who would break rules as he saw fit.

"I'll wait it out." Erwin assured, "Just until Officer Schmidt retires to his chambers."

"Funny how he gets a chamber in the middle of nowhere."

We waited it out together as we heard the approaching footsteps that stopped in front of our door, making my heart stop along it as my breathing shallowed.

"Calm down." Erwin lowly murmured beside me, but I didn't think his words could reach me under this suspense.

And so, he resorts to actions instead of words—hand slowly traveling down to my side to tangle it with my own. Holding it in a tight and secure grip that brought me back to my senses.

"Breathe with me, it'll be terribly noticeable if we breathe unevenly like rocking waves."

Our superior would notice immediately if the blanket rises twice with interval, he might even think I had two lungs to do such thing.

"All right, breathe with me." He muttered low enough for me to hear, his lulling voice compelling me to listen eagerly.

I followed his slow breathing pattern, trying to tear my mind off the footsteps that returned to the front of our door.

From the dead silence of the night with only the sound of harsh cold wind hitting the windowsill audible—we could hear how the doorknob made a sound and indication that it was being held.

I held my breath along it, completely forgetting about the little breathing exercise.

Before I knew it, I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around my body before turning me towards him to pull me close. Closer than we have ever been before.

I felt flush against his chest, the fabric of his shirt in direct contact with my face, his arms wrapped around me in a secure hold.

I could smell his scent so up close, my senses completely engulfed in him.