Ch.18: ribs

A few weeks had past since the end of the school year. I enjoyed some time with my parents and met with Simone and Annick a few times. I took this opportunity to read a few books, and review my Latin. I didn't want my very small knowledge to go to waste so fast.

We were invited by Valérie and her family for National Day. They always organized a big party for their friends and acquaintances. I was hesitant to go because, you know, Antoine. But he apparently left for summer camp in the south, so he would not be an issue.

Mom had insisted we wore our most beautiful outfits. I got the honor of actually picking my dress this time. Bye-bye itchy Christmas dress, hello pretty pink sundress.

Mom spent that entire morning with curlers in her hair, which dad laughed at every time he looked at her. He almost took a hit of her spatula in the face when she was preparing lunch, making him laugh even harder. I laughed with him right there and then.

My parents were the perfect exemple of the type of relationship I wanted. They were very close, and I couldn't remember a single time where they argued. My mind slipped to Descamps, his boyish features and his eyepatch, before quickly putting that image aside. I would probably never see him in a context where we could talk freely again.

Before I knew it, my parents were putting their coats on, my mom touching up her lipstick before leaving. We got there quickly, my parents gossiping about some man who was cheating on his wife on the way. If there was one thing always bringing my parents together, it was gossip.

My dad had to park a few streets down as there was no empty space closer. I had to intertwine my arm with his to avoid stumbling on gravel. Stupid heels.

There were at least 50 people in that garden, all wearing their fanciest outfits. Valérie was chatting with a woman I quickly recognized as Béatrice, Joseph's mother. Of course, he had to be there. He was wearing a large soft shortsleeved shirt with long navy pants. He looked handsome, there was no denying it.

He saw me, and I suddenly remembered him saying back at church that we were meant to always run into each other. How right he was. I quickly greeted his mother, who had this sparkle in her eyes seeing me. I made some small talk, then excused myself, making my way to the pastry's counter. There, I found my best friend for the day, strawberry cake. That was the real deal.

I sat in the grass, against the wall of the side of the house. Nobody could see me, probably just my feet peaking from the wall. A few hours had gone by and I just wanted to go home. I was tired of smiling at everyone, exchanging fake pleasantries with people I could not care about. I tried my best to avoid Joseph and so far I had been pretty successful. So far.

Somebody came to my side, handing me a mocktail. I looked up to see Joseph, a glass in each hand. I hesitated before taking the glass, quietly thanking him.

« If I have to hear another old man making a bad pirate joke, I'm leaving and never coming back »

I chuckled.

« Well, they are probably trying to make you feel better »

He glanced at me, a puzzled look in his eye before sitting down next to me.

« I know you don't want to see me. You made it very clear. But I would still like to apologize. After that, I won't bother you anymore »

« Sure. Go ahead » I took a sip of the drink far too sweet for my health. Jeez, did Valérie want us to get cavities ?

« I'm really sorry, Nora. I took advantage of those few weeks to reflect on everything. And you were right, I messed up. I should not have gone to the butcher. It was a mistake on my side. If Michele and Laubrac were here, I would apologize »