Ch.16: dumb dumb

Quiet fell onto the courtyard, everybody looking our way.

He held onto his cheek, shock across his face.

« How dare you do that to me ? » I asked, anger and pain in my voice. Before saying anything, he grabbed my hand, taking me back outside school grounds, where there were fewer people.

« I needed to do it » he tried to explain. « You can't tell me Jean-Pierre doesn't deserve to suffer after what he did to me »

I scoffed, tears forming in my eyes.

« Tell me what Alain did to you. Tell me what Michele did to you. Tell me what Simone did to you. The only person you wanted to get revenge on is Jean-Pierre, yet he's the least impacted out of this whole ordeal ! Did you even think about how this will impact all of them ? » I shouted.

« Yes, and it was what I planned » he said bitterly.

« Oh, what you planned huh ? Tell me, Joseph, for how long were you planning to destroy their lives ? »

« Nora, it's not like that- » he tried to interrupt.

« For how long ? » I insisted.

He sighed, looking away.

« Since Simone and Jean-Pierre made it official and started hanging out at school »

« That was weeks ago ! » I exclaimed. « You've been planning this for weeks !? Are you fucking kidding me ? »

« Nora, please, let me explain » he pleaded.

« No! I was so stupid. I should've listened to everyone telling me to be careful around you » I was fighting the tears back. I couldn't give him the opportunity to see me cry. « Did you even want to be with me or was it just a way to get to them? »

This time, it was his time to be hurt.

« You really think I would do that to you? » he asked, hurt about what I was suggesting.

« I don't even know what to think of you anymore, Joseph »

« Of course I want to be with you, Nora. This had nothing to do with you, I promise »

« This had everything to do with me! Those are my friends, Joseph. I don't know about you but I like my friends. I care for them, and knowing you hurt them deliberately is making me feel bad! »

He was at a loss of words, his mouth wide open but no sound coming out.

« I don't want anything to do with you anymore. Don't talk to me. Don't try to spend time with me. I can't look at you anymore » I spat before leaving.

Good job, Nora. You didn't cry.

I walked past Simone and Jean-Pierre, the latter being shocked by my outburst, and quickly made my way inside.

I felt a heavy weight on my chest the whole morning. I couldn't stop thinking about them. Alain, who was working so hard to get out of this hard life, Michele, who was trying her best not to just be her parents' daughter. What if I was too harsh on Alain that day with Annick ? Was it my fault ?

« Don't feel guilty, Nora. You were a good friend to them. They didn't leave because of you, I promise » Simone assured me at lunch.

« I know but maybe I could have known and helped them? »

« Tell me how you could have guessed they would leave ? »

« I don't know, I just... I don't know » I admitted, defeated.