6: Light and Loss

Naoise stood at the head of a cobbled street in broad daylight, hands held behind her back and wings spread wide in a threatening silhouette casting their shadows on the city. 

Velaris did not mind in the slightest. Common and high fae alike passed by, offering courteous nods with families and lovers, enjoying the gentle chill in the air and utter crispness of it floating with the music in the air. Every brush of the occasional breeze sent shivers down her spine, caressing the sensitive membranes of her wings.

Then a quickened heart filled with joy and mischief grew increasingly close, until something wrapped around her calf. Naoise peered down at the young fae clutching her with a wide smile, crystalline teeth shimmering in the light. She merely raised a brow, not budging from her chosen post.

The youngling shrieked, "I got you!"

"Yes, you did," she said plainly.

She let him get her, obviously, as she had for the two months she found residence in this Court as its Guardian. It amused her to no end, regardless. This youngling never seemed to exhaust his energy.

"I got you!" he repeated triumphantly.

"So it seems."

"Was I sneaky?"

"As much as any spy."

His starlit eyes shone excitedly and she felt him hop in place, still clutching her leathers. "Like you?"

Her lips twitched. "I'm not a spy, little one," she murmured.

"You're not?"

"No. But Azriel is your Court's Spymaster."

"I don't want to be him." His nose crinkled.

"No?"

"No!" He paused in thought and leaned his head on her thigh. "What do you do?"

Naoise lightly brushed his scarlet curls with a hand. "I protect."

"Who?"

"You. Velaris. Everyone in this Court."

"Even the High Lord?"

"Even him."

"Why?"

"Everyone needs protecting, little one. Even the fiercest of warriors."

"Do you?"

Noise suddenly choked, falling into a brief silence. She remembered when she did. Her father once protected her. Now, she knew how to go it alone. And she would never willingly place the burden of her protection upon another. 

Not again.

She rasped, "Afraid not. I'm the protector, remember? I protect myself as well."

"Why?"

Her heart ached at the hopeful pounding of his. "It's my job."

"But why?"

"This was always in my path, little one. One does not simply ignore fate."

"I want to protect, too," he whispered.

"One day, perhaps you will, in a family of your own."

"Really?!" He beamed up at her again.

Naoise offered a small nod. "Patience now. Your years are ahead."

"Of course. Of course." This little one could not contain his grin, nor his excited impatience.