Chapter 1

Returning to 6 months ago.

During my leisure hours, I find joy in painting. Today's spring weather is exceptionally promising for this creative endeavor. I arranged a cozy spot with a blanket and some sketch pads at Pickman Park. It's a simple location adorned with swings, picnic tables, and a basketball court. This park holds a special place in my heart because of its connection to the Salem bike path and Marblehead rail trail. The waterfront ground can get quite muddy during low tide, and the beach nearly vanishes at high tide, revealing breathtaking views of the marsh.

Recently, Jacky has been feeling cooped up in our apartment, prompting me to suggest a charming date idea - drawing pictures together in the park.

I got there early to set everything up as a little surprise. It wasn't anything fancy—just a blanket, two sketchpads, and some pencils and pens. Just when I finished arranging things, Jacky showed up on the bike trail.

As always, she looked breathtaking. Her short brown hair spiked out from under a gray beanie. Thick black glasses accentuated her adorable large nose and captivating brown eyes. She was tall, standing out from afar, in contrast to me—short and unremarkable.

Spotting me, she waved and ran over, wearing a smile. But then she paused when she saw the setup.

"We're drawing?"

"Yep, fun, right!?" I said, fumbling with my hands.

"Yes, fun"

As we settled in, Jacky's expression contorted with discomfort. An uneasy gaze swept across the park, searching for any sign of onlookers. Yet, we found ourselves in solitude; no one else was around.

"What's bothering you? You seem a bit on edge, constantly checking around..." I inquired.

"Nothing's really going on."

"Alright, Jacky, what's the plan for your drawing?"

"I'm thinking of sketching Jeggle Island. My friend told me there's a Coinstar Kiosk with a Bitcoin ATM there. I mean, isn't that hilarious? A Coinstar kiosk in the middle of an island?" She chuckled. "Imagine swimming there just to use it, right? So, what's on your plan, Daphne?

"Oh, just putting the finishing touches on an older drawing. Remember the portrait I started of you? Well, I wrapped up the pencil sketch a few days ago and thought, why not throw in some shading now!"

I could sense her pencil coming to a stop. Glancing up, I noticed a shadow casting over her face, giving it a darker tone.

"You're drawing me...?" she said, her tone turning cold.

"Well, you knew I was drawing you," I paused, "you saw it back at the apartment when I started. And you even said it looked good."

"We're out in public, Daphne!"

"But, Jacky, it's just us here. I thought it would be alright."

"I don't want people seeing you drawing me."

I felt my breath hitch. "I just... I assumed it would be okay since we're alone," I whispered.

Her voice grew louder. "Don't you get that when you do things like this, it's embarrassing for me!?"

My voice started to choke up. "I don't understand why it'd be embarrassing when it's just us two. Please, Jacky, I thought it'd be nice for us to get out of the apartment and spend some time together."

"It's embarrassing to be seen with you, Daphne. I thought you understood that."

"You're embarrassed to be seen with me?"

Both of our faces froze at my question. I could feel my face heating up, my hands clenching the blanket underneath me.

"Yes," Jacky spat out.

Hot tears welled in my eyes and streamed down my cheeks. Though my gaze stayed fixed on Jacky, I could hear the sound of my tears falling onto my sketchpad.

"Fine." Still crying, I angrily tossed my belongings into my tote bag—loose pencils, crumpled paper. I couldn't grab the blanket since Jacky was still on it. Sniffling, I wiped my nose with my hand and, without looking at Jacky, stormed away.

"Wait, Daphne, you know I didn't mean that. You know how I get sometimes," their voice faintly reached me. I kept walking. They didn't follow. All I wanted was to enjoy drawing by the marsh, relax at Pickman Park with my girlfriend, and do something nice for Jacky. I'm so stupid to think it would end in any way other than this.