17 - Pompeii

Ellie, Charlie, Justin, Riley, and Maya looked around Shawn's house.

Ellie and Maya walked to the pictures that Shawn had hung on his wall.

"These pictures are amazing," Ellie said.

"Thanks, Ellie," Shawn said.

"That's a cool picture," Maya said, pointing to a picture of her, Shawn, and her mother.

It looked like it was on her birthday based on the birthday cake Ms. Hart was holding.

"One of my favorites," Shawn said. "What were you wishin' for?"

"Uh, I don't remember," Maya lied.

"Okay," Shawn said.

Ellie knew that Maya was lying and that Shawn knew she was. She could tell that Shawn knew better than to push Maya to reveal what she wished for.

"Uncle Shawn..." Riley said, sitting a large folder on a tiny desk, "your photos are very beautiful." 

"Thank you," Shawn said. "All the ones on this wall are extra special to me."

Underneath the picture of Maya, Ms. Hart, and Shawn was a picture of Shawn and Ms. Hart.

"Yeah?" Maya said.

"What about that one?" Charlie asked as Maya pointed to said picture.

Shawn nodded as he looked away.

"Lost your voice?" Maya said.

Shawn was flustered.

"I don't think he's lost his voice, Maya," Riley said. "I think he's screaming."

"That was our first date," Shawn revealed.

"Oh, wow, the lovebug must've given you a few extra bites," Ellie said.

Shawn chuckled at Ellie's comment, knowing what she meant. Ellie made sure to say it in a lighthearted, joking tone.

"I know what you were wishing for, Maya," Shawn revealed. "I've wished for the same thing my entire life. I care about your mother. I hope that's okay."

"It's okay," Maya assured him.

"Keep going!" Riley said encouragingly as Maya took steps towards Shawn.

"I like you too," Shawn said.

"Keep going!"

"I'm - I'm very..." Shawn struggled to vocalize his words, "extremely fond of you."

Ellie could tell that Maya was feeling so many different emotions in a span of a few seconds. 

Maya smiled and hugged Shawn, who hugged her back.

Ellie was happy for Maya. She was happy that she found someone else even though Maya's father had walked out on her.

"Say it," Riley said.

"I don't know what comes after that!" Shawn said. "I'm damaged."

"I'm very extremely fond of you too," Maya told Shawn.

"Say it!"

"You know," Maya said.

"Uncle Shawn... do you know any good vintage stores around here?" Riley asked as Maya and Shawn let go of each other.

"No, but all our stores have had the same stuff on the shelves for fifty years," Shawn said.

Riley picked up a pile of clothes. 

"That'll work," she said.

She handed Maya the clothes that she managed to pick up.

"Alright, let's hear it," Riley told Maya.