07 - School Profile

Ellie sat with Charlie and Justin as usual. 

They sat on the bench by Mr. Matthews's class before classes started.

Ellie, Charlie and Justin had their laptops out working on their school profile.

"Name," Charlie said.

Ellie had her name typed in for name.

"Interests," Justin said. "Writing."

Ellie smiled. "I have connections. If you want to get into screenwriting or something after high school or college..."

"Thanks," Justin said. "Don't worry about it. I don't want to use you and your connections."

"It's the only way to get anywhere in Hollywood," Ellie sighed. "You need to have connections to get anywhere and you know me..."

Justin was disappointed to hear that he needed connections.

"If you need it, I'll help," Ellie offered. "Same goes to you, Charlie."

"Thank you," Charlie and Justin said.

Ellie looked down at her screen and typed acting for interests.

"Favorite movie?" Ellie said.

"Ooh, Captain America The Winter Soldier," Justin said with a big smile on her face.

"Ooh, that's hard," Charlie said. "I don't know what to put. What are you putting, Ellie?"

"Oh, um... I guess the eighties version of Annie," Ellie said.

She typed that in.

"Ooh, that's a good movie," Charlie said. "I think I'm going to put Singin' in the Rain."

Ellie smiled.

"Okay, a favorite song," Justin said.

Ellie bit her lip.

They all typed their favorite songs into their school profile. 

Ellie filled out her school profile and hit the finish button.

Now her profile is up. 

Her school profile hasn't been up for a minute but she already got a couple of messages from the older kids. 

She really wished she was surprised that she got messages within seconds, but she wasn't. She was expecting it. 

Ellie didn't need to know that most, if not all, the messages would say the same thing: whoever messaged her on her school profile only didn't really want to be her friend. They liked the idea of being friends with a famous actor, not because they liked her as a person.

The bell rang and it was time to head to class.

***

A part of Ellie kept hoping that Farkle Minkus would make an effort to come over and talk to her since the school year started, but he barely made an effort. 

She wondered if she should be the first one to initiate a conversation with him rather than waiting around.

"Hey, are you okay?" Charlie asked.

"Hm? Yeah, I'm okay," Ellie said.

Ellie and Charlie were sitting on a bench outside of Mr. Matthews' class. They 

"Um, I was just thinking... um, Farkle Minkus and his friends... have they always been wrapped up with their own issues to care about anyone else?" Ellie asked Charlie.