"Before it blows my fur away!" Frost grunted.

***

The patrol did have much luck. A puny squirrel or a mouse would need three wolves to catch. The whole forest seemed jumpy. "You got anything?" Frost called out.

Pine shook his head. "I've got a sparrow that looks like a pile of feathers?" He tried.

"Yeah, I have a mouse that looks like it hasn't eaten since the beginning of fall," Snow agreed. "But Pine had to help me with that."

Frost sighed. "Maybe Coyote was right. Hunting is hard here."

"We still have a few hours before dusk," Snow pushed. "Doesn't hurt to try some more."

Frost and Pine nodded.

***

"Come on, let's go back. At least wolves will have something in their bellies when they sleep." Pine sighed.

Dragging her mouse and her squirrel, both barely half the size of Drizzle's pups, Snow leaped over a pile of hay and dropped her prey in front of Coyote. "You want it?"

Coyote smiled. "I'll take the mouse. You better give the squirrel to that pretty white wolf; her kits need to be strong. One of your friends brought us plenty of food."

"I never knew Coyote had a soft side!" Daisy whispered with laughter. But Snow wasn't listening. One of my friends brought us plenty of food? We barely caught a mouthful!

"Hey, can I see the prey that my friend brought?" Snow asked cautiously.

"Sure!" Coyote replied happily. "It's over there."

Padding over to the prey, Snow lowered her head and sniffed, hoping to pick up a scent. Sure enough, she got one.

Vengeance,

Tearing open a rat, Snow called out. "Hey Moon! Can you come over for a second?"

"Do you know what seeds these are?" Snow asked.

Moon shook his head. "Those, I believe, are poppy seeds." Coyote answered, popping into view. "They are used to help a shocked or distressed wolf sleep. Also used to make them drowsy and less in pain."

Moon's eyes widened. "Then someone was trying to drug us!"

Snow nodded grimly. "Vengeance did."

Moon huffed. "Of course he did."

"You mean it was a trick?" Coyote asked, interested. "Was he trying to make you fall asleep?"

"I think so." Moon looked worried. "RIp open every one of that prey, and take the seeds out. Might as well store them for future needs."

"Hey hey! Can we help!" Sky said, trotting over.

"I'm not sure," Drizzle's voice sounded from behind Snow.

"But we're old wolves now!" River exclaimed.

"I'd say you're about the age of when Coral had no friends," Drizzle corrected.

"Hey!" Coral retorted. "At least that ended when Snowflake came!"

So that was the wolf whom Coral liked.

"I think they should help," Moon reasoned. "At least they could learn about some herbs."

"Yeah! We can help!" Pebble exclaimed.

Drizzle rolled her eyes, and retreated back to Petal's side.

"So what do you want us to do?" Storm asked, bouncing.

"Snow and I will rip open the prey, and you guys, very gently, use your paw and get the seeds out." Moon instructed.

"One step ahead of you!" Storm replied smugly as she darted to the rat and started picking out the seeds and dropping them onto a bamboo leaf that Coyote brought.

"You were never this eager to work when you were young!" Snow teased as Coral.

"I'll work now!" Coral shot back with mock disgust.

"You cheeky cub!"

***

It was messy work, but it was worth it. By the end of the day, Moon was able to wrap up the bamboo leaf, sticking it together with some pine tree sap.

"Great job pups!" Snow exclaimed. "You get first pick for prey. And take some to Drizzle while you're at it."

"With those four pups, nothing bad will happen to the pack," Moon agreed.

OMG these updating times are getting better!!!!!! Maybe I should lengthen the chapter back! Would you like that, guys??? Comment Pls! I feel like no one's rlly reading my chapters... :( No comments, 10 stars...2 engaged readers.... Please feel free to dm me tips!!! Please! Maybe I'll get some more readers. And is possible, please share my story with your families and friends! Enjoy!!!

~Corgi