Ch. 34: Compromises

Start from the beginning

"I have to go to my next class soon," I pointed out, yawning as she tapped away. "You better not be doing anything weird."

"Going through your nudes," she mentioned sarcastically before giggling to herself. "Ooh, nice ass."

I chuckled, nudging her. "You know damn well I wouldn't."

"Boo, boring."

"Yeah, yeah. Don't change my lock screen picture again," I replied, recalling the time she'd changed it for a selfie of herself and I had to explain myself when Dad incidentally looked through my phone that afternoon.

I still cringed when I remembered having to explain to him that she was just a friend, watching the momentary satisfaction draining from his eyes in real-time.

Fucking embarrassing.

And I wasn't concerned. Well, not until she flashed me a shit-eating grin. She handed me the phone back quite confidently, as if she'd just saved my life. "There. You're welcome."

I snorted but nodded my head. "Huh? Oh, yeah, thanks. But what for?"

"You'll see."

I frowned at her before glancing down at my phone. And sure enough, I could see the brand-new messages between Mason and... not me, but also me. My eyes widened as I realized she'd gone ahead and scheduled for us to start training later today, which was coincidentally right in the middle of my shift.

"Eve," I hissed while snatching the phone from her, my hands shaking a bit as I tried to think of what to do. "Dude, I work today!"

"Y-you work today?" she repeated, realizing the issue. "Oh. Oh no."

I grumbled while rubbing my temple. Mason had tried to bring this up and offer to start after my classes, yet sweet, beloved Eve had gone ahead and doubled down by claiming I didn't have a shift today. And then she'd doubled down again— or tripled down, perhaps—when he inquired about it for a second time.

So, he'd just gone along with it.

"Eve. I work every weekday. I've told you this before," I scolded, trying to wrap my head around this. How the hell was I supposed to suddenly go back on this when she'd made it seem like I was certain without a shadow of a doubt.

She winced.

"I-I thought he misremembered," she explained, flashing a weak, apologetic smile. Then, she huddled close to stare at the screen with me, not even offering to fix her own mess. "Uh, m-maybe you can tell him you got the dates mixed up?"

I grumbled. "No, that's so embarrassing."

Eve sighed. "Dude... then what? You can't be at two places at once."

I frowned, closing my eyes. "If I get hit by a bus—"

"Bennett," Eve groaned, cringing as she patted my shoulder. "I'll probably regret this, but I—I have an idea."

---

I sighed worriedly, stepping out of the bus with Eve in tow. I'd definitely tried to shake her off once we went our separate ways for our next class. Unfortunately, that didn't last long, since she was right there when I headed to the bus stop that'd take me to the gym. And sure, I contemplated getting on my knees and begging her to please not follow me, but I could see the determination in her eyes. And honestly, I'd probably never hear the end of it if I didn't let her make this up to me.