Ch. 32: Beckon

-Mason-

The call was entirely unexpected. One moment, I was chatting with Eric and Ricky. And the next, I was scrambling to sit up and answer my phone. I triple checked the caller ID before picking up, unable to wrap my head around the fact that he'd actually called.

"Hey Bennett," I greeted into the phone, internally groaning at how nervous I sounded. I pinched my cheek for good measure, genuinely thrown for a loop.

Not even a text. I actually got to hear his voice. Wow.

"Mason?" he asked, seemingly confused despite the fact that he'd been the one to call.

"Y-you didn't butt dial me, right?" I joked, wincing at the possibility. I held my breath when he didn't reply right away, my whole body tensing up in worry that he might hang up. Not yet.

"No, I—I wanted to talk," he finally replied, halting once more before adding. "If that's okay?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at the jaded tone of his voice, sensing the uncertainty so palpably. Something was clearly wrong. I didn't need to see his face to know he was wearing that adorable pout of his, probably worrying himself half to death over something out of his control.

It was enough to coax me out of the bed.

"Yeah, I'm here," I replied softly, hastily putting on my shoes. I ignored everything else while snatching my keys and wallet from my nightstand, distractedly heading towards the door. Before leaving, though, I did bother to glance back at my friends just in case, silently warning them not to follow me.

Thankfully, they knew better and backed off; although, Eric did have to be physically restrained by Ricky, which was disappointing but not entirely unexpected. If it was up to Eric, he'd likely prefer if I handed over the phone altogether.

"We'll be good!" I heard Ricky call out, which would've been somewhat relieving if he didn't have to say it while struggling to hold Eric in a chokehold.

"The party! Mention the party," Eric hissed under his breath, his hand gripping onto the side of the door before being yanked off as Ricky shut the door. Huh.

And with that, I headed off.

"Bennett, you there?" I asked once more after shaking both of them off, clearing my throat as I walked down the empty dorm hallway, heading straight for the south exit. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine..." Bennett assured me, his voice barely above a whisper. "Sorry, it's kind of late, huh?"

I strained to hear, further furrowing my eyebrows as I hastily spam-clicked the button to raise the volume. "Uhm, what?"

I could hear Bennett's weak laughter. "I—I said it's kind of late... isn't it?"

I rolled my eyes. He sounded seconds away from making up an excuse to hang up, but there was no way I'd let him go just like that.

"Nah. I was wide awake," I assured him while exiting the building, which was almost entirely true. I'd certainly been complaining about being exhausted before, and I did almost pass out just a few minutes prior. But in that moment, I couldn't even remember why. I felt energetic enough to run a marathon, my whole body warmed up from how hard my heart was pounding.

Besides, I was beyond ecstatic that he'd called at all. I pinched my cheek again for good measure, wincing when I felt the light sting. Alright, fuck yeah.