Ch. 34: Compromises

-Bennett-

So, when do you want to start?

I kept drifting back to Mason's text while gathering my thoughts, careful not to touch the screen. He had sent it four hours prior, soon after dropping me back off at home. And honestly, I still didn't know how to reply.

I'd opted not to.

It was decidedly the coward's copout. And it was bound to bite me in the ass eventually, especially if I caught sight of him at the gym later today and he brought it up. But that was a problem for future me, really. Someone else entirely, if we were being technical. And I was all about minding my business.

I had assured him that I was still interested when he brought up training me back at his car, but that was when he was right in front of me and all I could do was dumbly nod in agreement. If anything, I wish he would've asked for a specific starting point right then and there instead of leaving it for later.

Because now that I'd failed to gather my bearings, I was at a standstill. How the hell was I meant to explain that I technically didn't need his help? Or did I just play dumb and pretend to learn the motions I'd long become accustomed to? How long could I even keep that up?

There were regulars at that gym that I'd given advice to, so it was only a matter of time until someone caught on and exposed me for the fraud I was. Really, it was probably best to fess up.

I noticed the time and sighed. I hadn't slept much, but I still had classes today.

---

"You do have to reply eventually," Eve mentioned warily as we sat at a bench between classes, at least no longer cursing my father out for taking my phone away for so long. Apparently, I'd missed her breaking up, then getting back together, and then breaking up once more with her girlfriend. Or, uhm, ex.

It was probably for the best, though, lest I talked shit about her ex during the brief period of time when they were on good terms. That was the kind of misunderstandings that caused unnecessary drama. And I was not always the best at discerning timing in cases like that, so it was almost a gift.

Somehow, while making me listen to all the voicemails she'd spammed while going through said debacle, which I had seemingly just fully overlooked once I did get my phone back, she'd snooped enough to find the awaiting text message from Mason as well.

Once forced to explain myself, I revealed a vague version of events, sighing when she immediately urged me to send a message back. Solidifying a plan was integral here, as she put it. Apparently, I was at least meant to suggest that he pick if I couldn't come up with a reasonable answer. Not just ghost him.

Ugh.

"I know," I replied, groaning under my breath. "I will, I will. I just need... time to think about what to say."

"He'll think you're ignoring him," she warned, quirking an eyebrow. "Is that what you want?"

"And what if it is?" I muttered, leaning against her shoulder.

"Is it?"

I shrugged.

Eve sighed, shaking her head. "Do I need to step in?"

"No. No way. Not even as a joke, Eve."

Surprisingly, I didn't stop her as she continued snooping through my phone. I didn't have anything too incriminating on there anyways, especially when I was always at risk of having it snatched up by my dad. Thank God for private browsers.