Author Spotlight: SuVida777

This month's spotlighted author is SuVida777 with their story Rhodoreef!

Our author of the month is a nerdy couch potato from the central hills of Sri Lanka, who worked in animation/advertising for some years. But during the pandemic, pursued a creative journey as an indie artist, author, and animator, writing stories with immersive worlds and heroines who tend to be nerdy, whimsical, and rebellious. Their work delves into the mind-boggling possibilities of science and technology and explores social/eco themes that could do with a spotlight.

 Their work delves into the mind-boggling possibilities of science and technology and explores social/eco themes that could do with a spotlight

An Asian sci-fi retelling of The Little Mermaid that steers the tale you know in a whole new funky direction. It's the tale of an ambitious teen mermaid who must venture beyond her guarded underwater city and brave the polluted, climate-ravaged wilds of the Indian Ocean, in order to find her human soulmate and forge a better future for her people.

What sparked the inspiration to write the story?

The ocean is a largely unexplored wonderland—it's space right here on Earth! I've been fascinated with it for a very long time.

When my fun illustration of Ariel won first in the Rewind the Classics contest last year, I thought of writing a retelling of The Little Mermaid. I envisioned a mer-city in the Indian Ocean, and I decided to explore themes of climate change and sustainability.

It was insanely fun and challenging to create an underwater metropolis that is realistic—complete with its own tech, history, clothing, food, politics and society. I had to research geology, marine biology, the alien world of the deep seas, ocean biomes, plastic pollution, commercial fishing and the impact of climate change on the oceans.

What inspired you to start writing on Wattpad?

I've been escaping to story worlds from a young age—books, video games, anime and movies! It eventually led me to a career in art and animation. Somewhere along the way, my own stories and characters birthed in my mind—though I never wrote them.

In 2020, I decided that I should sit down and write Komoreby. I searched online about where I can post my work, and Wattpad came on top. I liked the interface, and the community seemed big, so in January 2021, I uploaded 10 chapters at once on Wattpad!

Budding authors face countable hindrances, what hindrance(s) did you face the most?

Rhodoreef was challenging on multiple levels.

I had to learn about marine biology, ocean biomes, plastic pollution, marine life trade, commercial fishing and last but not least, climate change with relation to the oceans. When it came to worldbuilding, I had to create underwater tech, society, politics and even a marine-based food system! But it was an insanely fun and eye-opening experience!

The protagonist's journey also proved to be a challenge—there are some intense scenes in Rhodoreef, including big battle scenes!

Negative criticism is inevitable, how do you deal with it? And what would you suggest the others do when faced with such?

Negative criticism could be helpful to improve your craft. After all, we aren't perfect, and we might have gotten a few things wrong. But if it feels unfair or spiteful, it's best to ignore it and do your thing.

What according to you sets Military Fiction apart from other genres?

First of all, the action and battle scenes—especially when it comes to sci-fi battle, which is so cool. Other than that, war is a reality from ancient times to now, and we get to examine its impact on individuals and societies.

What do you feel is the biggest myth about writers?

I think the biggest myth is the idea that writers can finish a book and get it published. Most people think that writing is the hardest part, and the moment you finish, they'd ask you when it would come out in stores. Sadly, whether it's trad publishing or webnovels, it's a long journey to get your book discovered and read. Finishing a book is just the beginning.

Your go to cure for a bad day?

A video game, chocolate and sleep.

How do you avoid or get out of writers' block?

I'm a careful plotter, so I outline the plot, jot down character notes, do research and even keep lots of other random notes before I even start writing. So I don't actually experience writer's block.

Any advice for your fellow/new writers?

Read a gazillion stories and have fun creating worlds and characters! Don't overthink or worry too much. The more you read and write, the better your storytelling is going to be!

What's your message for our readers?

Come and check out Rhodoreef? *Cackles*

We're delighted to have SuVida777 as one of our spotlighted authors!

.

Interested to know how you can become one? Each author in here has been noticed by us for their outstanding book. Keep working on your story and submit your story to our reading lists to get noticed more easily.