Chapter XIII - Past

As Frieren froze herself to death on the top of the tallest ice spike, she then got a glimpse of her memories of how she and his brother became heroes.

Ten years ago, before Kris' death, in the village of Zauberhaft. A village covered by a wall of mesa plateau was always attacked by giant hostile mobs, and luckily, the villagers who lived in this village were mostly mages.

The chief of the village, Lau, was the greatest mage. He fought many monsters along with his army. Some of them won, and some didn't. The chief was worried that the population of this village could be wiped out; today, in your Minecraft world, giant monsters would have become fossilized and buried deep in the underground.

The two most dangerous monsters that always attack the village are the Brennen Dragon and the Frieren Owl. These beasts worked together to destroy the village. The Brennen Dragon breathes out flames that can burn anything, and the Frieren Owl throws feathers that, when hit on the ground, produce ice spikes.

On one normal day, both beasts began to attack the village. The Frieren Owl suddenly dives into the house of the chief and sees a new-born child. The child cries as the owl screeches. Then, the child's sister goes in front of the owl head-to-head. The owl suddenly gets calm when it sees the girl in front protecting her brother, and suddenly, Chief Lau shoots a nausea spell on the owl to stun it for a while. Then Chief Lau calls his daughter to take her brother and get out.

As the girl ran while carrying her brother, she saw her mother being carried by the dragon and called to her father. Then Chief Lau heard the voice of her wife being taken by the dragon, but he had to think fast. He then had a plan that would finish the two giant beasts. He then rushes towards the dragon and shoots an arrow of poison into one of the dragon's eyes. The dragon let go of his wife, and he then caught her. He then tells her to seal the two beasts in their two children. His wife was shocked, but that was the only way to save the village.

His wife then rushes to their children and tells her eldest child to create a ritual to seal the monsters in them. She then creates two circles, one red and one blue, and writes in a standard galactic alphabet. Then she places her children in each circle and calls her husband. The chief heard the signal and began to lure the two beasts. As the owl and the dragon chase the chief, the chief casts a spell, and as the dragon and the owl come to the right spot, their eldest daughter closes her eyes.

Suddenly, their mother was pierced by the owl's claws, and their father was pierced by the dragon's claw. After that, Chief Lau smiled, saying that the ritual was finished and the beasts were sealed inside their children. The Frieren Owl was sealed inside the girl, while the Brennen Dragon was sealed inside her baby brother. The chief survived the dragon's attack, but his wife didn't.

The eldest daughter wakes up, seeing her mother die and her father wounded. The cost that saved the village was the loss of the chief's wife. The chief cried while his daughter held her brother. A day later, the chief proposed a funeral to his wife and a celebration that the two beasts had been sealed. Then, the chief renamed his children. The eldest daughter is named Mond "Frieren" Lau, and the youngest son is named Sonne "Brennen" Lau.

Seven years later, Frieren grows up to be a responsible elder sister, and Brennen grows up to be a cheerful kid. The village hasn't been attacked since the two beasts were sealed inside Chief Lau's children. As Frieren and Brennen went out of their home, they went to a field full of roses, blue roses, and dandelions. Then, Frieren picked some flowers and formed them into a flower crown. She then placed it on her brother's head and made him very happy.

They look in the distance in the flower fields until Brennen sees who looks to be a knight and priest. Brennen then tells her sister that there are two people far away who seem to be trying to find help. Then they both walk towards the two people who were trying to find help and bring them to the village. Brennen carries the priest, while Frieren carries the knight.
The people were shocked to see two strangers being carried by the chief's children.