The Orphans Caroline and Armand Gautier

Mymother traversed a childhood marked by unhappiness, followed by a tumultuous adolescence full of disappointments. Adulthood brought with it the painful estrangement from my uncle Armand. I believe it was only during her pregnancy that she finally found the sought-after peace. Despite sharing almost every detail of her life with me, my mother held various hidden secrets. Before disappearing, she carefully stored her memories in our family trunk. There are unknown aspects about her that I have not yet discovered, and at times, I wonder if I really need to know them. Thus, I avoid openly discussing our family. Fear occasionally haunts me, fueled by reluctance to face the reality that may be hidden between the lines of our history.

The twins possessed intense personalities, and during the early years at Beauxbatons, the friendship and loyalty between them remained unshakeable. However, things began to complicate in their later school years and, subsequently, in adulthood. Madeline, though not physically present in the children's lives, played an indirect role, feeling obligated to take care of them after Louise's death.

At eleven, upon receiving their acceptance letters from Beauxbatons, the twins received a generous sum of money from Madeline. They flew to the city of Lyon alone, acquiring their magical supplies at the Marché Magique de Lyon and then heading to Paris to craft their wands at Madame Bâtons' shop, choosing veela hair cores made of golden threads, following the veela tradition. As they walked through the streets of the French wizarding community, they were immediately recognized. Their radiant skin and light hair made them stand out, but unlike Harry Potter, who was acclaimed in the streets, the Gautier Orphans were seen as an omen of darkness. People crossed to the other side of the street, fearing the bad luck they might bring.

The exception was Clemence and Francine's family members, who managed to detach themselves from the negative reputation of the Gautiers. Apolline and her cousins, Bernard and Laurent, joined the same class at Beauxbatons. Despite the conflicts between their mothers, Clemence never mistreated Caroline and Armand, being the only one to send gifts on their birthdays. This did not prevent Apolline and the brothers, besides being cousins, from becoming close friends.

During their first year at Beauxbatons, at the end of the summer of 1958, the Sorting Mirror placed Apolline and Caroline in the house Sireneblesse, surprising no one due to the enchanting beauty of the cousins, who looked like twin sisters. Bernard and Laurent were sorted into Griffeligence due to their intelligence and sensitivity, while Armand was placed in Couragetaure, causing apprehension for Caroline. Despite being one of the best houses, Couragetaure carried a bad reputation due to its dark past, including wizards who turned to the dark arts. Caroline feared the risks her half-veela brother might face in this house, especially considering their conflicting views on blood and equality.

Beauxbatons, October 30, 1960

Dear Diary,

Today precedes the Halloween night, and autumn unfolds in Beauxbatons with splendid beauty. The sixth year is orchestrating a masquerade ball in the grand hall, a festivity that will embrace all the students. As usual, Apolline and I dedicated the entire week to choosing our dresses, and surprisingly, we ended up opting for the same design. To avoid any contention, we cast the Geminio spell on the dresses, allowing both of us to share in the elegance. The masks, meticulously crafted with pearls and peacock feathers, make us even more beautiful.

We eagerly await the owl from the respectable Mr. Delacour, a fifth-year student. Apolline, in turn, awaits the bird from her mysterious admirer, whose identity she guards with utmost secrecy. I am curious, but I respect her secret. Surprisingly, we declined numerous courtship invitations, including those from brave little boys in the first year who dared to invite us as their partners, eliciting laughter between Apolline and me.