38.

Athena's POV

"Good morning Miss Walter" I looked up from my desk when I heard Chloe say that, seeing Victoria ignore everyone around her and not even look in my direction as she walked into her office and closed the door.

I stood up from my chair "did something happen? Like with the company?" I asked Chloe and she shook her head "not that I know of but this is not unusual, she has a lot of bad days that none of us know the reason for"

I sighed and walked towards her office, knocking on the door softly before opening it "hey" she looked up at me and forced a smile on her face "hey"

I stepped into her office and closed the door behind me "you look exhausted baby" I said and she chuckled "yeah I... just stayed up watching tv" she clearly lied.

What does she have to hide that she felt the need to lie about what she was doing last night?

She couldn't possibly be seeing someone else. We just started officially dating.

"Yeah? What were you watching?" I asked, getting closer to her "just.." she tried to think of something but she couldn't "okay" I mumbled letting her know that I know she's lying.

She covered her face with her hands "can we talk about this later? I'm not in the mood right now" me either apparently. I feel choked up.

"Mhm yeah" I turned around before she could see my face and know that I'm about to cry. I'm an emotional person and also a bit insecure when it comes to relationships.

I'm fighting the urge to turn around and ask her if I did something wrong. She's probably so bored of me asking if she's mad at me whenever there is a slight change in her attitude.

I left her office and closed the door, taking deep and slow breathes to make sure I calm down and hold back my tears.

We'll talk about it later. It's okay.

———

I didn't think later meant in a few days.

She hasn't been to work and has been answering my texts with the driest responses which literally broke my heart into pieces.

I'm going insane.

I couldn't take it anymore so I went to her house but she wasn't there. I was informed by one of her security guards that she's at her apartment -that I didn't know of by the way- but he gave me the address and I'm going there right now.

I knocked on the door a few times and she opened the door, her lips parting when she saw me "what are you doing here?" She asked me, her voice tired and exhausted "are you cheating on me?" I questioned her, my voice cracking a little when I asked that.

Her having an apartment that I don't know of will make me think she's cheating on me.

Her eyebrows relaxed and she shook her head "no baby, I would never do something like that" she reassured but tears are already leaving my eyes "then what did I do wrong? Please tell me so I can fix it" I said in desperation.

"Nothing, you did nothing wrong" she said with guilt clear on her face and voice "then why aren't you talking to me?"

She looked down and stepped aside "come in" I stepped into the apartment that was a pretty decent one. It wasn't fancy or anything, just simple.

"You want anything to drink?" She asked me "just water" I said sitting down on her couch.

She sat down beside me and handed me a water bottle. I opened it and took a sip from it "I'm sorry. I know I told you I'd work on opening up to you about my feelings" I stayed quiet, waiting for her to see if she's actually going to open up.

Victoria leaned forward so she can rest her elbows on her thighs as she interlocked her fingers together "a while ago, my dad.. um he killed himself and ever since then my mental health has been the worse it could be"

I placed the water bottle on the coffee table and gave her my full attention "a few days ago was his birthday so my mom texted me and said 'he would've been here if it wasn't for you'," tears gathered in my eyes as I heard her talk.

"She blames me for his death. I blame myself too sometimes but it just hurts when it comes from my mom, you know?" She looked up at me since she was looking at the ground the whole time.

She forced a smile on her face and I rubbed her back. She placed her head on my chest and let out a breathe "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the apartment. It's just a place I come to so I can be alone"

"It's okay. Sorry I ruined your alone time, I was just feeling a bit insecure and worried" I said as I scratched the top of her head "don't apologize. You have all the right to know where I am, you're my girl"

Victoria looked up at me "I don't want you to ever think I'd cheat on you. My love for you is a lot more than you can imagine. No woman can ever replace your place baby"

"I love you with everything in me" she said making me smile widely "I love you"