"Not sure, that's why I'm going after him."

"Well count me in," Nienna said confidently. Legolas stepped beside her and nodded.

"You have my bow," he said gravely.

Nienna gave him a skeptical look. "What are you doing, pledging your eternal allegiance?"

"No, I was offering my services," he responded stiffly, noticing the amusement dancing in Nienna's eyes.

"You have my bow," she mocked and Legolas surprised everyone by lightly hitting her arm, which only made her laugh out loud.

"Let's go," he said to Nora, hoping to distract Nienna. He only managed in catching Nora's attention. In an instant, her eyes lit up and she brandished her staff (forcing everyone to either duck or back away).

"ONWARD!" and she took off without making sure the others were following. Nienna sighed.

"Right, Bard, you and Silvia see if you can find Gandalf. Warn him about the incoming orcs." After Bard and Silvia had nodded and turned to leave, she spun to follow Nora.

"Come on Drama queen," Nienna called to Legolas who fell in beside her, spluttering protests. "You must take after your father..." she chuckled leading the way.

* * *

Fili was held by the orc over the edge of the tower. Thorin and the others could only watch in horror as the orc laughed maniacally and moved to plunged his barbed blade in Fili.

At the last moment, there was a fiery blur through the air. The next thing anyone knew, the orc was on fire and Fili, having been dropped was plummeting to the ground.

A scream rang out as everyone rushed forward, terrified yet desperate to see what had happened. Shocked relief was quick to spread through the group.

There, having stopped Fili's descent with a spell, Nora was crouched, cradling his head and rocking gently back and forth.

Fili, opened his eyes, trying to understand what had happened to see Nora's face above him.

Wait... was she... crying?! He froze in shock, unable to speak.

"Oh thank goodness," Nora said. "I got here in time."

"Nora?" Fili finally managed to gasp out.

Nora smiled at Fili, firmly brushing away her tears and glanced over Fili, taking note of the wounds he'd gained during his near death experience.

"Let's get you to the hospital tent."

* * *

Kili charged up, desperate to avenge his brother and unaware of Nora's last minute save. He was quickly enveloped in a mob of orcs, each hacking at him clumsily.

Was he more skilled? Yes.

But he was gravely outnumbered.

Nienna sprang into action flipping off her perch and firing off arrows at an inhuman speed. In seconds fifteen orcs had dropped off the cliffs, dead before they hit the ground. Legolas was quick to back her up, both rushing to get to Kili's side.

They both saw Kili overpowered at the same time, pushed onto his back, his axe locked with the orc's blade and his arms desperately trying to push the blade away from his chest. They both fired an arrow at the attacker at the same time and the orc fell off Kili, eyes glazed over -- dead.

A sigh of relief escaped both elves' lungs.

Then a blade sprouted from Kili's stomach. He looked down in surprise.

Too late, Nienna and Legolas saw the orc sneaking up behind their friend. Two arrows implanted themselves into the orc's skull less that a second too late.

Kili fell to his knees, chocking on death.

Nienna felt something inside her break at the sight and suddenly she was fighting as though possessed, desperate to get to her friend's side. Then, she was there, kneeling next to Kili.

Kili looked up at her and seemed to try and say something, but Nienna would never know what final message he'd wanted to convey. The words died with him, vanishing along with the light in his eyes.

Vaguely, she was aware of Legolas standing over her as she held her friend's body, guarding both of them, allowing her a moment -- however brief -- to grieve for the loss of a good friend.

Then reality intruded and Nienna realized that now wasn't the time.

As heartless as it was, grief would have to wait or she would risk more lives being lost today. She gently set Kili back down in the snow, positioning his body as though he were asleep.

Standing seemed to be too much to ask of her. Gravity was pulling her down, an inevitable force of nature, not to be denied...

However, she stood nonetheless and picked up her bow again.

The battle was not yet over.