Chapter 22

Everyone except me, Otis, Beau, and Casey entered the office leaving me to watch them. "I'm bored" Casey wined only for Otis to get a mischievous look. A look I had seen on many of the trouble makers back in the orphanage meaning it was my job to come up with a safe prank. "Who wants to bake a cake," I asked only for the oldest two to look at me unimpressed. "That's for sissies," Otis gritted out.

"Well I guess you didn't want to prank the rest of the family," I said shrugging my shoulder and walking away. "Did you say prank," Casey squealed. I nodded and he followed along as did his brothers. I started calling out the ingredients leaving out any kind of sweetner. "What about the sugar," Beau asked. "What about it" I asked.

"You need sugar in a cake," he said in a duh tone rolling his eyes. All three of the boys were looking at me clearly confused. "In a delicious cake yes in a cake for a prank no," I replied laughing. We quickly started baking the cake putting the same amount of salt in place of sugar. It looked beautiful when it was done and we even made Icing that used red 3 as well as citric acid seasoning powder.

The cake was finished just as the family walked into the room. I walked over to my uncle Dino giving him a big hug while whispering, "Don't eat the cake tell Evelyn." He let out such a quiet chuckle that only I managed to catch. My brothers and father all came over with glum faces but just as they were about to speak a maid came in and said,"Dinner is ready in the dinning room."

My father nodded and headed to the dinning room while everyone followed. I asked the maid of she would mind cleaning the kitchen and placing the cake in the fridge. She nodded and I left to go eat dinner. It was nice as everyone was talking and catching up until Luis asked, "so what happened to your mom."

I took a deep breath and ignored him. "What did I ask something wrong," he asked the room as he recieved many glares. "Yes Luis you know fair well that this might be a sensitive topic," my Nonna sheathed but I could see the curiosity shimmering in her eyes. "My mother committed suicide by drowning in the sea," I said not looking up from my plate. "What I though you almost drowned," Louie said looking worried.

My face snapped towards Dino, "you told them," I hissed out not even bothering to cover up the pain I felt. "I'm sorry Glenny I didn't think about how this would make you feel," He said and I could tell that he really did feel guilty. I huffed put a sigh, "I did drown on the same day my mother did. She tried to kill me with her," I said feeling tears well up. I could see the disgust in everyone's eyes and I hated it, my mother was ill but she was a good women and mother.

I was so close to tears and I refused to show weakness to any of these people, even Dino and Evelyn had only seen me show weakness once. I got up not looking at anyone and walked to my room where I cried my eyes out. I wanted to see how they all would react to the cake but in not going down. Evelyn would tell me how it went she always kept me up to date and I knew she and uncle Dino were in the mafia.