Chapter One: Blue Fire Meets New Beginnings

On the days where Lukas is told to run to the local bakery to grab a loaf of bread or see Mrs. Jills to ask for some eggs, the blonde takes the opportunity in an instant. The little walls of his home were most times suffocating, reminding him of bad memories more than good. His body always yearned to leave, to feel the fresh sunshine on his skin or even the harsh winter winds during the colder season. In the spring, it was even more enjoyable to leave the confines of the wooden house and sometimes take the long way to town, where the river runs through the woods and you can hear birds singing their warbles.

Eugene has set him on the task to buy some meat from Mr. Barker, with a basket in his arms and his head draped over with the hood of his blue cloak. He walks past the river where he sees the pink and orange fishes swim, little lily pads with frogs that croak loudly. He takes his time as he walks to the village that he visits at least once a month, away from the house where he has lived all his life.

Lukas isn't expecting the hustle of people as he steps foot into the town. The houses are empty save for children and some working mothers as men and women set about fixing the laces on their boots and polishing the bases of their guns. Lukas eyes a shotgun as he makes his way to Mr. Barker's shop, trying to gain as little attention as possible from the crowd of people.

The alpha's shop has a familiar scent of burning wood and rum as he walks in. It's a dark little building, decorated with a few paintings and a coat rack beside the door. Behind the counter is Mr. Barker as usual, his dirt-covered gloves placed on his hands as he writes on a piece of paper. He doesn't look up as Lukas walks in, but does let out a small sigh as the blonde gets closer to the older man.

"Hello, Mr. Barker," Lukas says as he sits his basket on the counter. He politely folds his hands in front of him and waits for the man to finish his task at hand.

"Lukas," Mr. Barker sets down his pen and moves the paper to the side as he stands up straight and gives the omega a softer look than he would to most. Lukas has known the man for years, and the two have become friends over the course of them. The older of the two tells tales of the days he spent as a hunter in the woods and the places he has seen. Lukas will take as much time as he can listening to these stories, trying not to stay too long in fear of Eugene finding out.

"What are you here for today?" Mr. Barker asks as he pulls his gloves off and starts to head back to the cold bucket of water to rinse his hands off.

"A pound of pig meat, please," Lukas replies. He waits for the alpha to come back with the packaged meat and place it in his basket before he asks, "What's going on outside?"

"Oh, that," Mr. Barker shakes his head, "Sometimes about an infamous Bluecap sighting around the woods. Some people are saying he's here for a bounty his family has made."

Lukas frowns, "A Bluecap?"

"Very few of them are left in the world. The only beings that can form a blue fire," The older man rests his crossed arms on the counter, "They're filthy rich from their coal mining ancestors who helped other miners. Some of these miners stole from the Bluecaps though, and some even steal from them in this day and age. Most families seek out these people."

"Hm," Lukas hums, then picks up his basket and settles his hood back over his head, "So everyone's worried he's gonna come after them?"

Mr. Barker nods, "It's silly though - if you haven't done anything wrong. Bluecaps won't bother you if you don't touch their fortune."

"Maybe everyone's just a bit paranoid since that dragon came to town and burned half the houses down a few years back," Lukas mentioned, "Did they ever find the guy who owned that dragon?"