Chapter 15-sleeping arrangements

Depuis le début

His steady breath is calming and I completely melt into his arms.

We lay like this for a bit until I turn around and our noses are touching. He's not asleep but his eyes are closed. I gently touch his cheek with my fingers and draw circles all the way up to his hair.

He pulls me closer as I do so and I smile. Thomas just makes me happy. It doesn't matter where we are or under what circumstances.

I touch his lips with mine softly and let them rest there. I close my eyes too.

                                               -

When I wake up it's because of the sudden coldness. The warmth of Thomas's body is gone.

I wrap my arms around my chest in order to keep myself warm.

The van is all dark. But I hear voices from outside. They are talking quietly. I recognise them as Thomas's and Brendas.

The concern I felt a minute ago vanishes immediately. I thought something happened. But my friends aren't gone.

I'm too tired to stand up and join them. I'm not sure if they even want me to. So I just close my eyes again and listen to them.

"It's different for everyone. Of course I don't know if I'm infected for sure, but I can only assume it." I hear Brendas voice.

She continues talking "I live with cranks and I'm not immune. Same for Jorge. We are both most likely infected. I can't feel it yet though."

"I just hope we'll make it to the right arm." Thomas's voice."I just- I can't loose her."

"You love her, don't you?"

"Yeah." His words send a warm feeling through my body.

"She loves you too."

"I know."

"Be grateful. You two have the chance to get old together. I don't have a future." Her voice sounds sad.

I wish there was a cure.

"I don't have a past. But I guess a future is more important than that."

"Do you really can't remember anything?"

"No."

"If we ever make it to the right arm, I'll tell you my story."

I'd like to hear her story too. She already told us a little about it. She lost her brother.

I couldn't bare losing Teresa, even though I met just her a few days ago.

"I'm looking forward to it."

They are silent again.

I know I won't be able to fall asleep again without Thomas next to me. I slowly stand up and walk out of the van.

Brenda and Thomas are sitting next to the van, their backs leaned against the wall.

When I step out of the door they both turn their heads in my direction.

"Ruby, why aren't you sleeping?" Thomas asks me.

I walk up to them and sit down on the ground, facing both of them.

"I could ask you the same thing." I give him a small smile and then turn my head to look at the sky.

It's clear and I am able to see all the stars, shining brightly. It's beautiful. I lay down on my back to watch them.

Brenda looks at me before laying down beside me. It doesn't take long for Thomas to join us.

All three of us are looking at the stars now. Thomas and I intertwine our fingers. Brenda is watching the stars dreamily.