CHAPTER #5

"Yearning for love in the shadows": secrets untold

- - - -
He looked at her the way she needed to be looked at like the whole world could crumble and he won't blink.
- - - -
Julian's p.o.v:

We rode for quite a while, and in the distance, I could see flickering light. As we got closer, a warehouse emerged from the darkness.

Isabelle seemed lost in her thoughts, and I could tell she was deep in contemplation. "Belle, we're almost there," I reassured her. With a sigh of relief, she picked up speed, and I followed suit.

Finally, we reached our destination and dismounted our horses.

The silence that enveloped the area was eerie. The rustling of the trees and the chirping of insects were the only sounds in the night.

A cool breeze sent shivers down our spines. The place had an air of abandonment, with its worn-out appearance and layers of dust.

I pushed open the creaking door, and we stepped inside, our footsteps echoing in the empty space. Not a word was spoken between us as Isabelle followed closely behind me.

As we entered, we were met with a chilling sight. Four unfamiliar and strange-looking men lay on the floor, either tied up or shackled, unconscious and motionless.

Isabelle gasped in terror, her voice trembling, and asked, "Who are they?"

As Isabelle went closer to inspect the men, her eyes fixated on a vibrant red stone hanging from one of their necks. She seemed taken aback, as if she had seen the stone somewhere before.

Gasping, she hesitated when I asked if she had seen it before. "No," she stammered, "I've never seen it before. It's my first time seeing it."

Curiosity filled her eyes as she asked once again, "Who are they?"

Taking a moment to gather my thoughts, I replied, "My men found them wandering near the palace gates at night on multiple occasions. One fateful dusk, they were causing quite a scene at the market, maybe even chasing someone."

I chose not to disclose the fact that I was present that evening, encountering these individuals alongside a mysterious ally who has since become a dear friend. Instead, I informed her that my men had encountered them.

. "They were speaking an unfamiliar language, which turned out to be the native language of the northern Empire," I explained.

After hours of interrogation, they confessed that they were ordered to kill you  by someone from our own kingdom.

Isabelle's eyes widened as she asked, "Who? And why?"

I took a deep breath before responding, "They revealed that the face of the person was covered, totally hooded. And that person also gave them this vibrant stone."

Suddenly, her legs gave way, and she lost her balance, almost collapsing. I quickly held onto her, trying to keep her upright.  "Breathe, okay? Just take deep breaths."

Her breathing was rapid and shallow, and I could tell she was struggling to regain control. I gently guided her to a nearby seat, making sure she was safe and supported. "Sit down, Belle. Let me get you some water," I said, trying to soothe her.

Seeing her in such distress broke my heart. I wished I could take away her pain and worries, but all I could do was be there for her, offering comfort and support.

ian, can you please leave me alone for a few minutes?" she pleaded, her voice trembling

I nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. "Of course, Belle," I replied softly. "Take all the time you need. I'll be right outside if you need me."

I wanted to respect her space and give her the opportunity to process the information she had just learned.

As I looked into her eyes, I could see the turmoil within her. It was as if she was searching for something, perhaps trying to find the right words to express herself.

With a heavy heart, I spoke up, my voice filled with concern. "Belle, one look at you and I can tell you're hiding something. I know you must have your reasons. But I beg of you, please don't leave the palace alone. The thought of losing you is unbearable. I can't imagine a world without you."

With those words, I left her, hoping that she would find the strength to face whatever she was keeping inside. I knew that she needed time to process everything, and I wanted to give her the space she needed. My emotions were a mix of worry, fear, and a deep longing to protect her from any harm.

- - - -

I pondered the events of a few days ago, the first time I discovered Isabelle sneaking out of the palace. I recall feeling stressed and concerned as I followed her to the Market.

I stood at the corner, my eyes fixed on her every move. I was bewildered, noticing every detail, making me fall for her even more.

After wandering for a while, she turned back toward the palace, appearing satisfied and calm.

I thought to myself that perhaps she sought comfort, feeling stressed staying in the palace all the time.

I instructed Adrian, my loyal companion, to keep an eye on her.

Her excursions to the Market place grew more frequent.I recall that  fateful evening when things took a chaotic turn. Peculiar-looking men wielding menacing swords were in  pursuit of her.

With a swift movement, I engaged the  men in a fierce battle, the clash of steel against steel echoing through the night.

My heart raced as the first blow was parried, my sword clashing with the enemy's. My movements were swift like a hawk, dodging and weaving, but the enemy's strikes were relentless.

The alleyway was narrow, with towering walls on either side, casting long, ominous shadows. My back was against one wall, and i deftly maneuvered around crates and barrels to dodge the attacks, the sound of my  boots echoing off the stone pavement.

The air was thick with tension, and every move i made felt like a dance with danger.

Just when it seemed overwhelming, a mysterious figure emerged from the shadows, a saviour in the nick of time.

My heart pounded as the last of the hooded men fled, leaving me and the mysterious stranger collapsed on the ground.

Blood dripped from my arm, my clothes torn, and the stranger had a gash on his jaw. As we locked eyes, a mix of relief and pain washed over me.  "Who are you?" I asked.

The stranger smirked and replied, "Just a traveler skilled in combat." My  mind raced with thoughts about this enigmatic figure who had come to my aid. "What's your name?" I  inquired.

The stranger met my gaze and simply said, "Damien."

- - - -
To be continued.