thirteen. what you do for a friend

[ thirteen

[ thirteen. what you do for a friend ]

THE RIDE TO the arena was silent. Both were too nervous to muster a word, although Cassia couldn't imagine what they'd talk about.

When the car finally came to a halt Cassia was the first to step out. She slowly walked to the gates but the Peacekeepers didn't even budge. She turned around and let out an exaggerated sigh when she found Snow still in the van.

"You coming?" Cassia asked annoyed and the boy rolled his eyes. He finally got out of the car and stood next to his classmate.

"What happens if the tributes attack us," Snow asked one of the Peacekeepers.

"Do not worry we have the situation under control." He responded nonchalantly.

"But what if—" He was silenced when the Peacekeepers pulled the gates open.

The teens slowly walked inside, fear looming over them both as they dragged their feet further inside. 

"Enjoy the show!" The loud, overenthusiastic voice chimed from the device, and both froze in their place. Coriolanus let out a tense breath.

"Who is the liability now?" Cassia whispered as she climbed over the turnstiles.

Talking the first step into the arena was harder than she expected.

The disgusting smell of death felt familiar, painfully familiar. The memories she tried to suppress came to her mind like a hurricane.

The Capitol tried so hard to hide what happened years ago before the Games ever started and they succeeded. Cassia hadn't remembered for so long about the suffering and the hunger of the Dark Days. No one in the Capitol did. 

She tried not to look around and just focused on finding Sejanus, but her eyes fell on a body lying next to her.

Teslee. 

The tribute from Three. Just like her aunt. Could that be her lifeless body if she wasn't 'saved'

She still remembers how they had to hide her in the basement, how much money her father had to pay the Peacekeepers to keep quiet, how many annoyingly long meetings he had to attend, and how much money he had to donate to gain just the amount of power needed to protect her and the rest of the family. And it was still not enough. People still stared and pointed at her.

Her parents spent countless nights comforting Amber but it was obvious that those days would never fade away from her mind. 

Finally, they spotted Sejanus kneeling in front of his tribute. They carefully approached him and he jumped up when he noticed them.