three. the tribute

[three

[three. the tribute]

CASSIA RARELY SAW the Capitol so early in the morning. Today was different though, today she was walking hastily to the train station. Everything was annoying her, the big bag that swung around with every step she took and the skirt of her uniform felt too heavy.

But that didn't matter, knowing the Capitol, Treech was probably way more uncomfortable at this moment. She didn't even want to imagine how it would feel like to be thrown in a small train wagon and travel for hours.

She finally arrived at the train station and to her surprise she saw another person with the same velvety uniform as her. Coriolanus Snow. Maybe it was a good thing that more people wanted to make a good impression, she thought. She didn't know if she should talk to him or not but she reluctantly walked up to him.

"Good morning, Coriolanus" She greeted and he turned to face her with a surprised look on his face. That look quickly turned to annoyance.

"Good morning" He smiled, yet Cassia could sense the bitterness in his voice.

Knowing Snow he wanted to be the only one to make a good impression. She highly doubted he cared about the tributes, he wanted to be the only "kind and caring" mentor in the eyes of the Capitol. She observed him a little more until she noticed his hands.

"What are you holding?"

"A rose." He brought his hand forward. He was holding a beautiful all-white rose, those were rare in the Capitol. "Thought I'd make my tribute feel welcomed." He said pridefully and straightened his back a little "Did you bring something too?" He pointed at the bag.

"Ah, yes. You know the basic stuff. Food, water..." A proud smile appeared on her face when she saw Coriolanus' jaw clench. 

She was about to brag a little more when the loud noise of the train filled the station. They were coming. She looked at Coriolanus to see if he was as anxious as she was but he seemed to be as cold and calculating as always. That made her feel even worse. Will they be dangerous, they will definitely be angry. Maybe this was a mistake...

Either way, she didn't have much time since the train already stopped and the tributes were thrown out of the wagons. She walked behind Coriolanus, it felt like a fellow student was the only thing that eased her nerves. Then she finally saw it. The familiar brown hat. He was helping his district partner step out of the wagon. She moved past Snow and hesitantly approached the boy.