six. late night talks

[six

[six. late night talks]

CASSIA DOESN'T REMEMBER how she got home. All she remembers is Lysistrata and Pup's distraught faces. She was sure they were saying something, even asking her from time to time but she doesn't remember what or the answers she gave them.

Yet, she was now sitting on her living room couch with her family around her asking all kinds of questions that she couldn't keep up with.

"Are you sure she's okay Hector?" Lucretia, her mother turned to her husband, voice quivering with fear after Cassia didn't answer.

"I'm fine" The girl finally spoke and what was intended to be a reassuring answer came out as merely a pathetic whisper.

"Are you sure? Do you even remember what happened?" Amber asked from across the room, unable to sit still from the panic. The girl just nodded wanting this conversation to just end.

"Do you want to wash your face, my dear? Perhaps take a bath?" Her mother asked and caressed her cheek softly. A quiet yes was all Cassia could manage.

After some time she was sitting in the bathtub and finally, she started to feel the terror wash away from her body. She wasn't close with Arachne, she didn't even like her. So many times she hoped that she would just disappear and never come back to school. Her irritating voice, her condescending smirks, and backhanded compliments always ruined Cassia's mood. She always complained, never satisfied with anything, and even in her last moments she was her heartless and awful self but Cassia still felt an unexplainable wave of emotions surge through her. She was part of her everyday life. She was always there and the thought that she would no longer be the case felt wrong.

She didn't know how long she was bathing but when she went to her room it was already getting dark. She got dressed and tried to dine with her family but nothing looked appetizing so she ended up excusing herself to her room.

The thought of having a meeting with Treech tomorrow felt so bizarre. She didn't even know if the games would continue at all, now felt like the best time to cancel them.

But what bothered her the most was Treech. Could she trust him after what happened today? He doesn't seem like a murderer, like someone who would attack someone without being provoked but neither did Brandy. After their conversation today, it felt more and more possible for him to snap at her.

She was brought back to reality when she heard knocks on her door. Carefully her aunt stepped inside the room with a smile on her face.

"How do you feel Casi?" She asked and sat on the bed. The girl didn't know what to say because she truly didn't know how she felt. Why was everything so complicated all of a sudden?

"I don't know" She answered truthfully.

"That's understandable" Amber simply said and somehow her casual tone managed to put Cassia at ease."It's okay to be confused... What happened was...awful but don't let it cloud your judgement." The older woman continued when she noticed Cassia avoid her gaze "They are just kids... Just like you. They are scared but unlike you, they don't have anywhere to go right now..." Her voice was gentle but her words sent shivers down Cassia's spine.