The other bystanders winced and turned away, muttering in disgust and pity for the young woman.

I felt sick to my stomach as I watched her sob and wail loudly in front of the amputated leg, repeating her lover's name in utter despair.

"That was all we could retrieve." Was all Keith Shadis said before continuing on their horses, leaving the woman to weep in the middle of the road, soon being ushered gently by the other civilians to a safer location.

I watched their backs as they went away with their body-filled carriages.

That was most likely the fate of a scout, I knew that. And although the idea of dying in the hands of titans terrified me as I have never seen a titan before, it was the only life I could ever imagine myself living.

Spare me from having to pick a useless regiment where my training in the military isn't even necessarily used or utilized, spare me from having to deal with the corrupted ways of our government system, spare me from having to live an artificially 'normal' life as those around me live theirs, spare me from having to play house with a woman I know I'd never love.

That was exactly what was expected of me.

To get a safe job where I can laze around and still make a living, to have to endure and accept the way the system is, to find a girl and settle down, to find a house to call our home, to procreate when the lives within these walls are already suffering from poverty and overpopulation.

Spare me from that ill fate.

On my way to my sister's place, I could not avoid fidgeting with my hands as I thought about how in 5 months— we would graduate from the military and get to choose what we want to do after

While I did not care if I make it to the top 10 or not, I was pretty positive that Nile and Miche would make it.

Then, Erwin would be the top of our class, obviously.

He was exceptional in our academic studies, good at hand-to-hand combat, and is exceptionally gifted in the ODM gear. Not to mention, his bright mind that is able to think of solutions easily was widely acknowledged by our superiors.

Wherever he chooses to go, I knew he would succeed and make it to the top. That's just the way he is. He was born with greatness engraved in his destiny.

And speaking of him, Erwin Smith's effect on me has not changed in the slightest.

I still blush when we meet eyes, and I get easily flustered when he tries to talk to me.

Every time his face gets too close or his voice draws near, I would be reminded of the events that happened the other night.

His strong chiseled face that looked more vivid up close when his air fans against my skin, his deep husky voice as he declares proclamations of love, and the warmth that radiated off his body— so close to mine.