chapter four

"please don't ever become a stranger whose laugh i could recognize anywhere."

It was 4:30 in the morning when Jane realized she had to go to the set. Her mother knocked on her door, but she was already awake. She had been awake the whole night even though she knew it wasn't a good idea. She would be deprived of sleep for the next few days, which was probably the worst time she could be tired. She needed to be her best for the next few months. She almost regretted wasting such an important night playing a game.

But at the same time, she didn't regret it at all.

Jane rolled out of bed and put on sweats and a sweatshirt. The moment she got to her trailer on set, she would be changed into her costume. Then, they would do her hair and makeup. Essentially, she didn't have to partake in any of her daily morning routines. All she had to do was brush her teeth and get out of there.

"Have a muffin before you go," her mom suggested. Jane didn't even realize that there was food in the hotel. She guessed that was one of the perks of staying in a suite.

"Okay," she answered, grabbing a poppy-seed muffin and taking a bite.

"Walker's mom has to do a few things before she comes to set. Are you okay if we bring him along with us?" she asked. Jane set her muffin down.

"Of course I am," she replied like it was obvious. She knew her mother could hear her talking to Walker a few hours ago, so it was interesting to her that she questioned whether or not she'd be willing to bring him along.

"Alright," her mom said.

They both grabbed their bags with all of the things they needed for the day. Then, they walked out of the front door and towards Walker's suite.

Walker: Heard you're gonna be my Uber to set

Jane: don't get too excited. we're on our way right now.

Jane knocked on their front door, and when Walker's mom opened it, she realized she had never met the woman before.

"You must be Jane! I've heard so much about you!" she exclaimed. Then she did something that really surprised her: she engulfed her in a big, heartful hug. Jane hugged her back, but when her face was on her shoulder, she caught a peek at Walker giggling behind his mother. She scowled at him.

"It's nice to meet the woman that raised this kid," Jane mentioned, gesturing towards Walker. She smiled, showing her big pearly whites. Then, she turned to Jane's mom and said,

"It's nice to see you again, Julie," she grinned. Jane didn't know they'd met before.

"It's great to see you, too, Heather."

They bid their goodbyes to each other, and Walker joined Jane and her mom to go to the car. He had a duffle bag slung over his shoulder as he walked. Jane smirked at him.

"You talk about me a lot?" she joked. Walker blushed furiously, but she could see him smiling even though he tried to hide it.

"Well, apparently you appreciate how my mom raised me," he retorted, but Jane found his response a complete failure.

"Oh, please. That's not half as bad," she claimed. Walker shoved her shoulder. At that point, they were walking behind Jane's mom. She always smiled like she knew something they didn't, and it made Jane uncomfortable. It was better that they were walking away from her.

They kept walking down the unbelievably long hallway, and Jane was beginning to feel extremely tired. Every step she took she lost more focus and felt her eyes closing. Finally, she lost her balance.