Chapter 12

I heard beeping and voices before I could open my eyes. My limbs felt heavy, and my right shoulder ached.

I opened my eyes only a little but was blinded by white.

I took a deep breath in as I finally took in my surroundings. I was in a hospital bed, hooked up to an IV, and my vitals were beeping on the screen.

"Cassandra."

I looked over and my breath caught. It was Sherrif Haskill, sitting in the chair by the bed.

The beeping on the monitor quickened, exposing my nerves to the sheriff. I tried to sit up in bed but found it harder than I thought it would be.

I sighed, accepting what was to come.

But Sherrif Haskill just shook his head. "You're safe, Cassandra. You aren't going anywhere."

I raised my eyebrows. "Really?"

"You think you would have been sent to prison for what you did? Every person in this town would have rioted if you had been arrested."

I looked down at my hands on the bed. "But I still did it."

"I have a daughter, Cassandra, around your age. I swept what you did under the rug as soon as it happened."

I looked up at him, the face I recognized but was twenty years older. "So I'm free?"

"You've been free for twenty years, hun."

I nodded, then looked behind him.

"I'll leave you alone, now." The sheriff got up from the chair and nodded to me. "Glad you're doing well."

I smiled weakly at him but turned to look at Ryan, who stood in the doorway. He moved into the room as Sherrif Haskill exited and closed the door behind him.

I forced myself to sit up as Ryan sat slowly on the bed. I winced as I moved my shoulder, but forced myself to look at Ryan. His hat was off, his hair unkempt, and his eyes looked tired.

"What are you thinking?" I whispered as he only stared at me. I felt like my brand was burning through my hospital gown.

He shook his head slowly. "I'm thinking about what I would have done if you didn't make it here in time."

I shook my head. "No, not about that, about..."

Ryan placed a hand on my cheek and leaned in closer to me. "Why did you think you had to hide it?"

Tears formed in my eyes as Ryan's thumb stroked my cheek. "I've done things, Ryan, things I'm not the most proud of."

He pushed my hair behind my ear and shook his head. "I don't care. I don't care what you have or haven't done. I care that you're sitting right here in front of me, breathing."

I nodded as a tear fell from my eye.

"Hey, it's okay," Ryan said softly as he pulled me into a hug. I nodded into his chest as he wrapped his arms around my waist and rubbed my back in long, soft, strokes, comforting me in a way only he could.

_____

The ride home was quiet. Only Ryan had been able to stay with me overnight in the hospital. But apparently, John had shown up to pay the hospital bill and visit me. I made a mental note to say thank you to him when I got back.

I stared out the window, watching the fields pass by.

"Thank you, for saving me."

He glanced over at me and then looked back at the road. "I didn't do much saving, I only got you to the hospital."

"But you fought to take me there. You fought for me," I said, my voice turning into a whisper.

"I'll always fight for you, Cassandra."

"Cassie."

He turned to me. "What?"

"Not Cassandra, Cassie," I said.

He nodded with a slight smile. "Cassie."

I smiled at him and his smile grew.