It was a joke at first, nothing more, but when it began to work, I needed to return to find out who it was and why.

I was strong enough to protect myself from any witch's craft, but it took a lot more from me when I tried to protect myself from Vivian's witchcraft. She had some vicious spells up her sleeve, and they worked. Her magic was dark, but it was unheard of. There weren't many witches who had the power and the energy to do dark magic.

Asides from that, it was forbidden.

I was the only known person that rooted in dark magic and used it. Alexandria despised it whenever I did it—she was jealous. But that didn't make me stop. I continued to do so as I wished and there was no one who could stop me.

"Promise?" Vivian asked.

He cupped her face and I rolled my eyes at the same time. "I promise, I'll find her, but don't leave from here. Stay here."

She nodded, "I won't."

Callan glanced in my direction. I sighed, in relief. Anything was better than being killed by my cruel mother's hand. I didn't doubt that she wouldn't kill me if she knew I had been marked. She would gladly do it, without any hesitation.

I stepped aside with him, outside as the night began to darkness the cloudy skies. Vivian remained inside, unable to leave. The spell I put on her and the house was going to force her to stay within the walls until I wanted her to leave.

"Do you think you can find her mother? Or are you simply just trying to convince her that you can?" I asked him, wanting to know about his intentions.

The house was truly in the middle of nowhere. It was surrounded by woods and dozens of trees that kissed the sky. The nearest shop was a ten-minute drive away, it was a trailer park with barely anyone living there. Beyond the wild, there was a lake and a few hiking spots still unknown to many people.

"I'm sure I can. It wouldn't be too hard. Your mother has sent to capture plenty of men and women in the past. I know where she keeps them," Callan shared while nodding his head in belief. "It is better if we find her mother before Alexandria does anything with her. She has already gone through a lot."

"Through what?" I cocked my brow while crossing my arms. "She deserves what she's getting. You have no clue what kind of spells she has been doing, on you, on me." I reminded him.

Callan gave me a side-eye. "There's a reason to it, Elijah. Have a bit of warmth in your stone heart."

I chuckled at his words. "I'd rather die than take pity on a girl like her. She might have roped you and Dion with her conniving charms, but she cannot even reach near me," I gave my head a shake as my shoulders straightened. "I see the way you're desperate for her. She has you under her spell."

"It's not a spell," He denied. "I feel for her and I rather not have you harm or kill her."

My mouth went shut. Callan feeling for a woman, it was surely something new and unheard of. I had been gone for thirty years and this was what I returned to. What was even in that woman? She was nothing more than just a plain witch with little knowledge about dark magic.

"As you say," I glanced in the direction of the house and found one of the lights inside switched on. "We both know what happened the last time you felt for a woman."

Callan disappeared into thin air, leaving the secluded area and returning to court to find Dion before taking him and finding her mother. I didn't know what Alexandria had been doing in all the years I had been gone. I escaped to find peace from the court and the kingdom, it became too much to bear.

I had to go away.

And now, I had to return.

"Is he gone?" Vivian asked, her cheeks stained with tears.

I nodded, "He's gone." My eyes ran across her. What did he even see?

She continued to wear her ragged clothes from last night. There were wounds on her neck and arms, some I might have helped her get, but she wasn't merciful in scarring me either. Wild witch. I stepped into the house and the door behind me slammed shut.

"He'll find her. Stop worrying like a manic." I neared her and then began to circle around her.

There were two scars running down her face, one from her brow and the other one from her cheek which made me wonder where she had gotten it from. My eyes flickered away from her and I sat down before spreading my arms over the couch. I had nothing to do here except kill time and wait for Callan to return with her mother.

"Why did you kill your father?" I asked, invading the silence she was given.

Her head snapped at me. "What is with you?" She ground her teeth together and asked, her response rabid.

"You don't have to be rude—"

"I don't want to talk with you." She cut me off and walked away.

Without her knowing where to go, I stood up and followed her. It was rather enjoyable to find her angry and losing her mind. She should have never made a settlement with my mother. Everyone knew what it meant.

Her footsteps stomped across the hallway and when she realized I was following her, she stopped in her tracks and turned. "What do you want from me?"

I backed her to the wall and extended an arm over her before flattening my hand against the wall behind. "You should be thankful I haven't killed you yet."

"I'm not scared of you."

"You should be."

"Am not."

I smiled, understanding what they saw in her.

A fight.

Read the full book Patreon, or on my Inkitt Subscription.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions