Chapter 15

Liking someone and knowing that they are with someone else is the worst feeling ever. It hurts so freaking much!

And the worst of all? If that person has become an essential part of your life and your social circle. In addition to having to see him during microeconomics classes, and attending the same university, which means passing by each other in the corridors, he is also part of my group of friends.

I don't know how, out of nowhere we went from being just five girls to always having eight other boys around us. And, because the universe loves me so much, one of those boys had to be the love of my life... which will never happen... because he is in love with someone else.

I have to give him the credit. She was, from what I could see, a very beautiful girl. She seemed friendly and, most important of all, she made him happy. When he was with her, he never stopped smiling and laughing.

And no. I didn't see her with him just once. At the end of the week, I met them on what I assume was a date in a cafe near the university. And on Saturday I saw them entering the supermarket, her arm clinging to his.

It hurts.

As you might suspect, classes were torture. My luck is that he and Lewis always arrive a little late, some days more than others, as their previous classes are in rooms further away. As they arrive late, the room is already full and they are rarely able to sit close to us.

However, like the devil that he is, the boy smiles at me every time he enters the room.

How am I supposed to forget him if just a simple smile from him makes me feel so much?

Life is so unfair. Even though I knew it would never happen, I always imagined how I would meet the perfect person for me and live happily ever after.

Instead, I'm here, in my bed eating ice cream watching an episode of Friends because it's better to laugh then crying. I can't believe that who I thought was my prince charming is someone else's.

My emotional depression is interrupted by someone knocking on my door.

- Teresa, the others are thinking about going to a bar this night. And you will come too, okay? I'll text them saying you're coming. You know? It doesn't hurt you to pick up your phone and check the messages, once in a while.

- I'm not going, Anna.

- Oh?! Again? Why? Are you ok?

- I just don't feel like going out.

- You sure you're no sick? I've been noticing that you've been feeling down this week. Do you want me to go with you to the hospital?

- That's not it. I'm not sick. I just feel a little low.

- A little low? Do you want to talk about it? You know you can tell me anything. I promise I won't tell anyone anything. I can be very gossipy, but it's only about other people's affairs, not the ones I love.

- Don't worry. I'll probably feel better tomorrow.

Why didn't I tell her? It's not because I don't trust her or because I don't feel comfortable talking with her. It's just that, sometimes we need a little time alone to think and reflect on our lives.

I've never had to deal with a situation like this. Of course I've had crushes on other boys, but I've never been as sure about my feelings as I am with Sky. I've never liked someone as much as I like him.

The truth is that I have been very distant and different, as Ana has already noticed. I don't know how to deal with my feelings. But, as I told you, this will pass and everything will return to normal. I'm not going to let a bad experience with love ruin my days.

...

I didn't get better.

Exactly two weeks have passed. I've been literally ignoring the boy. He texts me, I don't respond. I even turned off the notifications to avoid having heart attacks every time I see his name on my phone. When I see him coming towards me in public, I pretend I don't see him and go in the opposite direction.

The others also notice this and have already had a conversation with me, interrogation style (I guess this is the only way they know how to do it). With all their love, they called me stupid more than a thousand times, they tried to find reasons to justify why he was with that girl, other than the fact that they were dating, and they even tried to pressure me into telling him the truth. Which will never happen.

I guess I'm not hiding my sadness very well. It got to the point where the other boys were sending me messages asking if I was okay, what was going on and how they missed seeing me. Unfortunately, ignoring Sky also means ignoring the others. It's not my fault they're always stuck to each other like glue.

Even Lewis sent me a message asking if I was ok. Cutie. He may not like to show that he cares about others, but the truth is that he is one of the most caring and kindest people on the face of the earth.

All of this makes me feel even worse. I don't want to ignore them and Sky on purpose. I just think I need some time away from him to regroup my feelings.

If I want to continue being his friend I have to be sure that what I feel for him is temporary. I'm sure I would never be able to act normally in his presence if I continued to like him with the intensity I do at the moment.

I need space. That's it.

That's why I'm now alone in my apartment. Both Anna and Iris went out with the rest of the group, which means I have the TV in the living room and the sofa all to myself. I bought a bucket of ice cream and I'm devouring it while watching a stupid reality show. As horrible as it is, I have to admit, the drama is entertaining.

I hear the doorbell ringing, so I get up, put on my super cute chick slippers, put on a coat, to try to look more presentable, so whoever is at the door doesn't think I'm an alien or something.

I approach the door, wrap one of my hands around the handle and turn it.

....

You'll never be able to imagine who's at the door.

~

Next chapter...