Wait for it

POV CORA

I wake up to Poppy jumping on my bed and shaking me like a maniac.

"Today's the day Cory, Blu Gravity's Talent Search today!!!" Poppy says jumping around my room to wake me up.

"Oh my gosh I know." I say to her still sprawled all over my bed as I throw a pillow at her and miss miserably.

"Come on you need to get up. Today's our last chance to see our competition before nationals." She says ripping my duvet off of me.

"Uugh just get out!" I say making her chuckle and leave.

I check my socials and texts, seeing a bunch of messages from my family and a few from my sponsors VANS. I decide to video call my parents as I haven't spoken to them in a bit.

"Aloha mummy." I say waving at her through the screen. I can see shes inside the surf shop we own.

"Aloha nani." She says waving back. Nani means beauty in Hawaii. My mom only speaks Hawaiian because she was brought up to stay with traditions and to be proud being a Native Hawaiian. My dad on the other hand speaks both English and Hawaiian due to going on tour and everything.

"E kiʻi wau i kou makuakāne" She says walking to find my dad. (Let me go find your dad)

"Aloha Cora" My dad says giving me the biggest smile. My mom excuses herself as a customer comes.

"I miss you so much papa." I say to him wishing I was with him.

"I know, we all miss you too. But I have some exciting news." He says.

"Hele aku" (Go on.) I say eagerly to him.

"Your mum and I were thinking of coming to Australia for your birthday and to watch you compete!" He says excitedly making me scream in joy.

"Oh my word you almost deafened me nani." He says being dramatic as per usual.

"Papa that's amazing, I cant wait for you guys to come. I can introduce me to my coach and my friends and everyone will be so excited." I say squealing.

"Tell me about Australia. I got off the phone with Manu and he says you're doing great."

"Yeah, everything is so different here. I've made some friends which is good." I tell him thinking about everyone.

"That's great nani, tell me about them. All your friends here miss you too."

"Well there's this American girl Summer who just got here. Her and this boy Ari were a thing last year but then he got a girlfriend Wren. But Wren hates Summer for some reason. Wrens older sister actually is our coach Elo. The two of them and Baxter the brother moved here when Summer left. Baxter's really cool, we hung out at a party last night that Summer hosted. It was crazy papa." I say to him smiling, as I continue telling him about everyone I see a smirk plastered on his face.

"A? Whats with the smirk?" (And?)

"Manaʻo ʻo ia makemake ʻoe i kēia keiki" (He thinks you like this boy) My mom says stepping back into the conversation.

"Uuugh Papa." i say covering my face with my hands.

"Now all I am saying is that when we come down I am going to have a firm talking with this boy and tell him that if he lays one finger on you I will personally hit him with his surfboard." My dad says making me die of embarrassment.

"'Oi" My mom says flicking the side of his head making him flinch and chuckle.

"Poina ʻo ia e ʻakaʻaka. Makemake au e ʻike i ke ʻano o kēia keikikāne" (hes joking forget it. i want to see what this boy looks like) My mom says.