Chapter 13: The Butterflies

Start from the beginning

I take that as my cue to get the heck out of the car before my mouth slips and spoils this almost perfect day.

I grab the handle of my bag and push the door slightly.

The chilly evening air greets me. Wisps of my dark curly hair scatter in front of my eyes. Obeying the wind's demands and creating a barely see-through view of tiny clustered dark threads.

Tucking the hair behind my ear, I turn to look back at Sean for one last time.

He's already gazing at me.

My body temperature rises and blood rushes to my cheeks under the pressure of his gaze.

"Um... Thanks for dropping me home." I say shyly.

"No problem. The pleasure is all mine."

I was about to bid my farewell when he quickly interjected.

"Are you free this Saturday?"

The question was so sudden I was left dumbfounded for a few seconds. My mouth opened and closed like a gaping fish desperate for h2O.

Focus Vannessa!

Answer the question!

"Y-yeah. Yeah, I'm free."

"Would you like to go out with me again? Or is it too soon?" He queried, sounding unsure.

I wasted no time in thinking and replied with, "sure."

Sean glances at my house once more.

"Ok cool. I'll see you around then."

"Yeah. See you later."

I put my right foot onto the sidewalk and hoist my body out of the car. I plop my backpack on one shoulder and shut the passenger door.

I turn. About to head to my front door.

As soon as my feet start to move, Sean's car engine revs and before I can register it, his car speeds off.

I spin around and blink at the spot where his car rested not too long ago. Amazed at how fast he disappeared.

The only evidence which proves he once occupied the area is the existence of dark puffs of exhaust that his car left behind.

I cough when the smoke seeps down my throat.

Before today, I had completely different thoughts about dating.

One thought in particular was that after the date, the boy would drop me home. We would have conversations outside my house. He would wait in his car and watch me as I walked to my front porch. Until I was safely inside.

But it did happen as I thought it would.

Except, the boy left me on the sidewalk in front of my gate and sped off as soon as I closed his car door.

My imagination was built around a box of white and dark chocolate, white roses and sweet, expressive poems on my first date.

But it turned out very different.

I guess imagination is just that most times.

An imagination.

A vision of what I hope reality could be.

But I should know better.

I'm just grateful that Sean is at least tolerating me after how I practically threw myself at him like a common apple.

He might not have given me anything fancy for the first date but I have high hopes for the second date. And besides, he said he wanted to take things slowly.