CHAPTER 14! looking at her made him feel like he was being stabbed in the heart

Start from the beginning

"we will push anyone down a flight of stairs to get ahead. and that's why i love my family so much. my dad knows he's not getting this bolt back with quests or goose chases. he knows there's a war coming. and in reality, i think he's okay with that. i think he feels it's just time for a war, so we're gonna have a war." he shrugged, looking around at the children before him. "isn't that great?"

percy huffed.

grover was concerned, and cherry probably should've been listening better.

"we're completing this quest. we're stopping this war. you said you can help. can you?" percy asked him.

"okay, so here it is. there's an amusement park up the road. i left my shield there. you get me my shield back, and i'll get you to the underworld by lunch tomorrow with a plan to invade hades's palace." ares offered, leaning closer.

"you left your shield? like, forgot it on the merry-go-round?" annabeth questioned him, to which cherry laughed.

"okay. the chirping was funny to me for a minute, but it is getting old. so do we have a deal, or am i killing all four of you so i can eat in peace?" ares threatened, his face twisting into a horrifying expression.

"okay." percy confirmed, appearing unfazed.

"great. one catch. i really do need that shield back, so i'm gonna keep the satyr here as collateral so you don't run off." ares glanced over at the boy beside the redhead.

cherry immediately grew defensive.

her hands reached for the boys arm.

"no, you can't have him." the girl immediately cut him off. "take percy."

"we don't split up again." percy brushed off the girls argument.

"it's okay. if he wanted to kill us, we'd be dead by now. can i just walk them to the door?" grover offered, placing a hand over cherry's.

grover stood up.

he led the trio over to the door.

they all paused for a moment.

"okay, look. don't engage with him. he'll wanna get you riled up, get in your head and you can't let him." annabeth began to instruct the second they were out of ear-shot.

"it's okay. really. i know what i'm doing. go. get the shield. i'll be here when you get back." grover tried to make them feel better.

the trio turned to leave, pushing open the door, to release the little jingle.

quickly, cherry turned back.

she threw her arms around him, squeezing as hard as she could for good measure.

she followed the pair out the door.

« ───── « ʚɞ » ───── »

cherry rubbed her arms.

it was a little cold outside, but nothing too bad.

the only thing that made her uncomfortable, was the abandoned-looking theme park.

"i haven't seen a lot of horror movies, but this seems like exactly the kind of place they'd suggest to avoid." percy spoke, as the trio came to a pause.

"i've never seen any kind of movie. i'll have to take your word for it." annabeth replied, looking at the big logo.

"really? we have to watch one together!" cherry gasped. "okay, as soon as we're done, we better watch one."